Safety Valve Leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have discivered a leak at the pressure safety valve on my Jaguar Combi.
Its dripping from the compression joint securing the outlet pipe to the valve. Is this just a case of undoing the nut, cleaning the thread and re-fitting with some new thread lock paste or is there something wrong with the valve. This only leaks when the heating is on, not when just the water is running. The valve, which has a red cap on the top, is situated near the back right hand corner with a 18mm(?) pipe running from it to a small bore pipe which goes through the house wall and terminates in mid air about 9"out.
If the valve is faulty what kind of cost am I looking at to get it replaced?
Other than checking/topping up the pressure to 1.2/1.4 each morning everything works fine.

Sponsored Links
If the leak is on the outlet you have more than one problem you are losing pressure, this may be a faulty PRV or expansion vessel needing a re-charge with air, the outlet pipe usually has a fibre washer or "O" ring on it

Probalby best to get the boiler serviced by a competent engineer as it sounds like this has not been done in a while! ;)

Thanks BM2. Had it serviced in September but this started about about a week ago. What kind of price am I looking at, worst case scenario.

Sponsored Links
The valve is situated at the back end of the pump and sits in a vertical position with what appears to be an inline coupling projecting out at 90 degrees to the body of the valve. The centre of the 'coupling' being a hexagonal 'locknut' shape. The (18mm) outlet pipe is connected to this stub with a standard type of compression nut and then about 12" down is a soldered reducer to a 10mm pipe which is fed through the wall to the outside. It is at stub/compression fitting joint where the water is dripping from. I would have thought if the valve was faulty the water would have just fed down the pipe and drained off outside but there is no evidence of this.
Does this make sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back