Ariston 20/1 MFS Leak from safety valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got a leak from the safety valve on my ariston combi and the safety valve has just been replaced but the leak continues. The pressure in the system is 1 bar at cold, but goes up to 2.5 or there abouts when in heating mode. This is when it starts dripping from the safety valve. Any ideas on a solution from anybody.

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel failed or needs recharging. See FAQ on this site.

One wonders who changed the PRV without checking the EXV !

Tony

Still loosing pressure, any ideas ? could it be the expansion vessel even though it didnt show any signs of water at the recharge valve.

Sponsored Links
I cannot guess because I dont know if the EXV was correctly recharged and if the necessary tests were done during that procedure.

Even the instructions on the FAQ on this site are not comprehensive!

Tony

Can you post the correct instructions for recharging the expansion vessel for me so I can rule out if it needs replacing. :)

Drain boiler and leave drain point open to atmosphere.

use car tyre pressure tester to measure pressure in expansion vessel.

If too low (say under 0.8bar ) then use bicycle pump to bring the vessel up to that level.

I tried that the other day and it seemed ok for a while then it just kept loosing pressure even when the heating wasnt on. After 2 or 3 days it keeps pressure if only used for hot water, but as soon as the heating is turned on it looses pressure from the prv again. Should I just try to do the recharge again? I did go a little under on the pressure of the recharge to be on the safe side.

Haven't checked that yet, I just ran a full bath earlier and it has kept pressure in the system, I just put the heating on but the pressure in the system will go up to 2 or 3 bar and will seep from the prv. I will try to repressurise the expansion vessel tommorrow and see how it goes. ( If it is loosing pressure from the expansion vessel does that mean it needs replacing?)
Thanks

Yep, which will probably mean taking the boiler off the wall - and having just read the manual I wouldn't bother putting it back.

Just fit an external one somewhere until it is new boiler time.

try checking the schraeder valve, they can let the air out and they can be replaced in a couple of minutes

Just checked the pressure vessel at the valve and it is loosing a drop of water so it looks like the vessel needs replacing. A previous post says the boiler has to come off the wall but my book for it says that you only have to remove the box containg the flue switch and the vessel is removed from above. Any comments?

Before you do anything else let ALL the air out of the EXV and see if any/much water comes out!

They will still sometimes work for a while even if they are leaking a bit.

However when you pressurise the air with the system open then if they are leaking a lot you will not be able to get the pressure up to the 0.9 Bar. Then repressurise the water immediately to 1.5 Bar cold.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back