Salamander CT60BU negative head shower pump - intermittently coming on after use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a Salamander CT60BU negative head shower pump reinstalled after the previous same pump failed. The old pump initially after installation, would intermittently come on after use. This would occur every 10mins or so and then after time there was a period of an hour after a week or so, this stopped and the pump settled in as such.

This is a newly fitted bathroom, with the existing feed coming from 22mm into the room. This was then reduced to 15mm and up to the shower controller. Every single pipe join was pressure tested once installed, so I am happy there is not a leak in the pipework.

Following the installation of the new pump, the intermittent starting is far more frequent as follows..::

1 min 40 sec

2 min 10 sec

3 min 7 sec

4 mins 30 sec

5 mins 53 sec

8 mins 0 sec

11 mins 58 sec

19 mins 05 sec

This is after the shower has been used for serval minutes. I believe that it is heat related in the way that the time between starts decreases, thus the pipework/joints are cooling down. It will get to to point where the pump stops coming on intermittently.

The same sequence as above occurs when hot water is flowed through the pump with no power, which to me suggests its definitely heat related rather than generic pressure.

We have put a 1/4 turn on the hot water input to the shower control, however this is now tight and we would be reluctant to make further turns due to the risk of damaging the washer by over-tightening.

There is a dome on top of the pump which has a Schrader valve (car tyre valve) which I assume is to increase or decrease pressure in the dome. I cannot find any information about this dome nor the valve. It is understood that this pressure vessel is pre-pressurised to 28psi, this was checked and correct.

The pump is installed onto a Salamander rubber pump mat. The Flexi hoses are virtually straight, all bar one that is 11 degrees, but well within the 35 degree tolerance.

The hot water tank has a Surrey Flange fitted to it to negate the issue of air bubbles reaching the pump. This flange has been in situ for at least 23yrs, but I can find nothing documented on-line to suggest that this might need changing. I don't believe this has anything to do with the intermittent starting, however the pump runs at 69-70db, whereas Salamander state that it should be 46-47db. That's probably in lab conditions though, a bit like a car manufacturers MPG...

The pump is situated approximately 3ms away from the hot water tank, which is on the same level and served with 22mm pipe. This again is within the 5m tolerance for pipework.

Any ideas gratefully received,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Do you have isolation valves on the outlet side of the pump? If you do close them down just after you've run the shower and then see if the pump continues to cycle on and off. If the pump stops then the pump is fine. If it continues then the pump is faulty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back