Salamander ESP 140 CPV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're now on our fourth Salamander ESP 140 CPV in 3 years. It feeds upstairs bath, shower, toilet, washbasin.

Problem is it keeps leaking water from the hot side of the pump round the black cylindrical plastic section which houses the pump. Hot water cylinder stat set to 50degreesC and I've checked the outlet water temperature many times to ensure it doesn't get near to the maximum allowed.

Not sure what to do as we can't keep replacing it. Wondered if anyone else has had this problem or has any ideas please ?

Any help appreciated - thanks

Sponsored Links
I think Salamander have a problem with the seals as you are the forth person in as many days with the same problem.

I think you should get in touch and ask what they intend to do.

HAve seen several do this. They'll send you seals free, which is worth a try, but the problem has always been overheating due to water starvation.

WHat's the inlet static head, and what's the configuration?
Diag would be good - try Paint if nowt else.

Many thanks doitall and ChrisR.
Static head is about 20 feet. Separate feeds to pump from cold and hot tanks in 22mm. Pump H&C feeds in 22mm to floor 1 to 2 bathrooms.
Each time it's been replaced before Salamander thought it was due to the water temperature being too high from the hot cylinder - I've checked using digital and mercury thermometers on pipe into pump and nearest outlet but stays in the fifties with cylinder stat set to 50.
I wondered if it was possible that the pump is too powerful, maybe it's OK to start with for first few months and then with pressure build up the seal in hot side starts to go - odd thing is that it's intermittent and doesn't happen all the time.
Cold side never goes but may be due to hot water being more viscous and getting through easier ?
I haven't asked them for new seals though - they've just replaced the whole pump each time so far.
View media item 582 View media item 583Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thats just about a perfect an installation as you can get 10/10

As I said I think Salamader have a problem with the seals.

I would take them to task over it.

Many thanks again. I'll contact Salamander.

Although I did gut and install the bathroom from scratch, the pump, boiler, heating and tanks installation was all done by our plumber - the 10/10 goes to him.

Cheers

I've just carried out another check. I assumed the hot side was leaking as a result of the hot water running. Just discovered that the hot side leaked when the cold bath tap was opened after no water being run upstairs for a couple of hours. The stopped leaking when the hot tap was turned on.

When the cold starts, I assume the pump is actually pumping H & C but the hot tap isn't open and maybe the seals can't contain it so it leaks - after a few seconds the leak seems to stop.

I'll ask Salamander.

Lastly, there's a pressure vessel attached to the side of the pump with 30psi noted on it. Wondered if you knew what purpose this serves - is it to absorb pressure when a tap is closed or something else ? It has a screw down valve at one end but no instructions as to whether it should be adjusted or not.

Thanks

You have an negative pressure pump, the vessel works in conjunction with the pressure switch

Thanks for your help above - Salamander have been very helpful and have agreed to replace the pump with two separate pumps to cure the problem.
Cheers
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back