Salamader House Pump ESP 140 CPV Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - We have just had a Salamander esp 140 cpv house pump fitted in our utility room next to the boiler - all looks correctly fitted and the water pressure is extremely high.

The problem is the noise. When the pump comes on I can hardly hear myself talk in the kitchen next to the utility room. And the noise is easily heard in the bedroom above the utility room (which has a concrete floor!)

I've looked on the Salamander website for decibel ratings and can only see mention of 'Quiet' and 'very Quiet' - the 140 is meant to be 'very quiet' but as this is subjective can someone please let me know what i should be expecting from a noise point of view.

The noise consists of a hum which seems to go when i stop the pump from vibrating, but there is also a screeching type noise (not easy to describe... but not a hum !)

I am considering taking the pump out altogether and having no water pressure again, its that bad.

Any help, iadvice, ideas, decibel estimates would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Becca

Sponsored Links
Becca K said:
The noise consists of a hum which seems to go when i stop the pump from vibrating

Whats it mounted on? Should atleast have rubber feet fitted.

If the pump is mounted on anything that can resonate, then it probably will resonate.

One idea is to put the pump on a concrete paving slab which is in turn stood on a block of foam rubber.

Make sure all the pipework is well clipped so it can't move as well.

Hi - the pump is mounted onto a floating floor....

I'll try fixing it onto a stone slab with rubber matting but the rubber feet it is on seem to be doing a good job.

the noise sounds like it is integral to the pump and not a resnance although am not an expert (as you can tell)

My plumber came round tonight and cleaned the filters which helped but the pump is still far too loud to talk over when you are standing next to it.. just can't seem right for a house pump?

am thinking of removing altogether and living with low pressure but have the boiler on the ground floor so am not sure if that will work either .... ????

If the pump is meant to be this lund then it will have to go - i just don't have anything to compare the noise level to? i.e. should the pump sound like a dishwasher or a washing machine on full spin cycle? the best I could come up with - sorry !

Thanks again
Bec

Sponsored Links
i recently witnessed a salamnder ct50 twin impeller pump in action a week ago. pump was located underneath the bath tub sitting directly on wooden floorboards. this thing was louder than a frikkin tractor!!!
not so good when family are asleep and you need to take an early morning shower!!!
you could replace the pump, pay a little more money and find something a little quieter. sure some1 on this forum can recommend a decent single impeller pump which is known to function quietly. Try something from the triton range possibly????

good luck!!

Have you thought about a call out under warranty to Salamander?

Thanks Dynomo - good to know I'm not the only one.....

I have put a call in to Salamander and their (very helpful) support desk are trying to lwork out what the problem is (if there is one). If the pump is just meant to be that noisy then it will have to go....

Thanks again everyone
Bec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back