Sale of goods Act 1979 as amended,upvc door update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or the supply of goods and services act.
Had a upvc frame and side panel along with a door fitted but is letting water in through the seal,seems it may be some weld sprue on the corners of seal not allowing it to compress fully,plus you have to wipe the threshold out after rain as no drainage slots/hole are in it.
Have had contact with the tech dept of the extruders and they advise normally should have holes/slots,i have had no reply to various emails or phone calls to Co that did the job,no Fensa cert(fitted in Nov)but they are registered,no receipt for cheque,and i thought we would be ok using a local Co rather than a national one.
Have done a letter to them to go recorded laying out the facts but i have quoted the sale of goods act 1979 but now see there is also the supply of goods and services act 1982,what one do i quote or does the 82 one supercede the 79 one,i have spent hours trying to sort this out but cannot find a definitive answer.
All in all a pain as they did a good job fitting it and would have used them for some other doors and windows we need sorting,oh btw they brought in the frame from what i saw once at their office,will name and shame once this is all resolved be it fixed.small claims court etc.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics for us to see and advise?

Is the door frame sat on a pvc cill? It may have concealed drainage underneath.

I shouldn't worry too much about which acts may have been broken for now.
Just state that you are unhappy with the problems and give them a deadline of 2 weeks in writing to rectify the problems or you will start off by contacting Fensa and trading standards.

If the problem is just missing drainage holes it would only take a guy 10-15mm to drill some in.
If the door is less than 50% glazed it dosent require a Fensa/building reg certificate.

Is the door frame sat on a pvc cill? It may have concealed drainage underneath

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/window...mendedupvc-door.393429/#3028209#ixzz2tEREWRDR
Gaz,
Yes it is sat on a plastic cill slightly raised but without the holes the water aint going anyplace till i sponge it up,the tech guy at the extruders sent a drawing showing concealed drainage which cannot be done without taking the frame out or drill at an 35deg angle from the top of the frame into the box section then drill again on the front face to allow water egress,i know the next question but why should i have to fix it when it cost just shy of 800 sovs,plus the seal/sprue needs sorting first and as for Fensa they wont touch it as they are i think only to make sure the installation meets standards whereas the Co that supplied and fitted it are responsible for the lot,let me try a picture.double click on user name gets you there.

Thanks for the pic.

Yes obviously no drainage holes there, Just out of curiosity are there some holes in the top? just wondering if someone prepped the frame upside down. Not that it makes a difference.

I agree the installer should be the one to rectify. The drainage hole can as I said be drilled no problems but they would have to do the outside of the frame as a face drain with drainage caps (To do it without removing the door.

The seals should also be a fairly easy case of adjusting the door.

Reporting to Fensa wont do anything for you (they wont take any action) but it will be a mark against the company when they come to renew there membership.

You could add to what I said earlier:
If the problems are not resolved within 2 weeks you will appoint a contractor to fix it and send them the bill and pursue it in the small claims court if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Gaz,
No holes at the top!this was installed at the end of November so i feel i have been pretty patient but now enough is enough so to speak,as you say the door seals should not be a problem once the sprue is carefully removed as i think leaving it and adjusting the roller catches may cause distortion long term.
Letter is drafted which points out the problems and mentions the sale of goods act and invites them to make good the problems listed and asks for a reply within 14 days,don't think i can be fairer than that given lack of contact so far,will keep posted as to outcome.

I wouldn't ask for a reply within 14 days but a resolution of the problems.

From what Ive read here and on other sites 14 days written notice of action is looked on favorably in court as an appropriate amount of time to resolve minor issues.
(I know its not a minor issue to you but it should only take an hour or so's labor to rectify).

Well the installer came back and drilled holes in the threshold on the inner front face and managed to break through into the centre cavity!i said if there are no holes in the bottom where will it go,give it a couple of days,well it hasn't gone and i had to pump it out with the bit that goes in a cif bottle.
Think he wants to come back and drill the front face and fit covers but i dont really want him near it and have contacted the extrusion maker to get the safe drilling height for the face and am inclined to do it myself or should i say take the lot out and do it properly or stick a new one in,i will put a small bead of silicone on where it has broken through once dry.
The other thing is how do i know that holes are drilled for the side panel and window?
Picture in album via user name.

Looks like hes done quite a nice neat job on the internal drainage holes, I would let him do the face drain too. They are normally done about 10mm up from the bottom of the frame.
Only way to check on the sidelight is to whip the glass out, 5 min job for him to check while hes there and if there are none he can do those at the same time.

He could have tested for the concealed drainage with a few cups of water.

If you attempt to do any of this yourself you may invalidate any guarantees.

I'll try and dig out some Deceuninck profile to see how high up to drill for face drain or you can have a look on the web for some cross section drawings

Chers Crank,
Its the 52mm low one,i contacted Deceuninck tech and they sent a drawing for the 70mm high one which showed the face hole centre at 57.8 from top edge so i worked out that would be 39.8 for the 52 mm one fitted assuming the bottom lugs are the same height but you know what they say about assumption being the mother of all ......one thing not shown is the twist drill size,when the installer drilled the top channel he used a 5mm.
One thing i would like to say is Deceuninck tech are first class,some companies can be a bit iffy if you are not trade so hats off to them and all on here as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back