sale of goods act.

About 14 months ago I bought an infill G4.............it's a piece of junk.............. has never worked properly..........and is unsuitable for it's intended purpose.

What are my chances of returning it and getting back the bulk (I'd settle for 70-80%) of the purchase cost?

Unless the manufacturer has provided a guarantee in excess of 14 months, eg 2 or more years, your chances are nil. If, as you imply, the equipment was unsuitable for the purpose for which it was sold, (quote:"has never worked properly"), then it should have been returned to the retailer as soon as this was discovered. To be honest, I think that you're clutching at straws mate.

This paragraph is from BERR the governments new name for the DTI

"For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement)."

This part of retail law is little known and retailers keep it hush hush. this is fact not speculation.

Many people beleive that warranty stops dead at 12 months. Wrong.

Sponsored Links
Even if it's out of it's 12 month warranty (if that's what was on it), you do still have an expectancy of it still working.

My Dyson was about 2 months out of it's warranty when the motor packed up on it. I phoned them up to ask about getting it looked at and the guy was arranging a time and a date and I slipped it that I was pretty gutted that it died just a couple of months out of warranty. He checked back the registration, said, yep, you're right, it's only a couple of months out, so no worries, this will be a free call out and free repair. Guy came out, replaced the motor - no charge. Sometimes the pathetically disappointed tactic works best!! :LOL:
Bear in mind Dyson have had a lot of bad press, such as them moving production abroad, and poor reliability scores, the last thing they need is an unsatisfied customer taking their story to the press. ;)

About 14 months ago I bought an infill G4.............it's a piece of junk.............. has never worked properly..........and is unsuitable for it's intended purpose.

What are my chances of returning it and getting back the bulk (I'd settle for 70-80%) of the purchase cost?

Unless the manufacturer has provided a guarantee in excess of 14 months, eg 2 or more years, your chances are nil. If, as you imply, the equipment was unsuitable for the purpose for which it was sold, (quote:"has never worked properly"), then it should have been returned to the retailer as soon as this was discovered. To be honest, I think that you're clutching at straws mate.

This paragraph is from BERR the governments new name for the DTI

"For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement)."

This part of retail law is little known and retailers keep it hush hush. this is fact not speculation.

Many people beleive that warranty stops dead at 12 months. Wrong.

Yes.

Plus the nature of what it is, a computer, means bugs are "repairable" and the conversations I've had up till now have been along the lines of "it's all being worked on".

I guess if I wanted it repaired it'd be easier but I've just lost all faith now as I cant risk another flat battery, the downtime through loss of the van is too expensive.

As long as you have the receipt.
Write a nice letter enclosing a copy with all details, make model. What the problem is. When it was fixed before etc

Although 14 months has passed a warranty is not worth the paper it written on.

Tell them that they are required to repair or replace the goods under the Sales of goods act 1979 (as amended), (Section 48 ) It should be of a satisfactory quality and therefore last a reasonable amount of time, 14 months is not a reasonable amount of time. (If they offer an extended warranty and they will usually mention it after the above tell them that as they are selling the 3 year warranty they expect the product to last this amount of time. So essentially you should still get another 2 years of average use from the product).

State you will give them 14 days to respond otherwise you will be making compaints to the relevant organisations and will be send a letter before action if you do not get a satisfactory response.

EDIT : You will not get your money back. Either repaired or replaced. Mostly the former.

Sponsored Links
Back