salt or lime stains on brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently building a 2-storey extension to my cottage. I am using reclaimed hand-made bricks. So far only a small pillar of brickwork has been built. However now it has stood a couple of weeks the brickwork has got white-stuff on it - now I have seen this white marking on new-builds and always thought it was the salt being drawn out of the bricks. I thought it was something to do with modern bricks so was surprised to see it on my reclaimed brickwork. Does anyone know if it could be something to do with the lime used in the mix or is it salt and most importantly will it go over time?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Does it look like the salts are coming out of the joints rather than the brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Efflorescence or lime bloom is normally due to storage of the bricks before use or protection of the wall when built.

ie bricks must be kept dry, not laid if soaked, and the wall protected from rain getting into it from the top

Efflorescence should be dry brushed and left to weather. Lime bloom must be removed by a specific acid cleaner

If the white is coming from the brick, or predominantly from the joint between the mortar and brick, then it's efflorescence, and the bricks were too wet when laid or got saturated after being laid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back