Salus RT500RF Programmable Room Stat Questions

The reason the stat is coming on during the night/ always being on is setting number 5, there are 5 settings on the Salus

1 is the time you want heating on eg, 07.00 and set the temp (20)

2 is the time you want it to go off eg, 10.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

3 is the time to come on an evening eg. 17.00 and set the temp (20)

4 is the time you want it to go off eg, 23.00 and set the temp (10 this will turn it off)

5 the problem many people have is that they do not set number 5 correctly, this is a night/ frost stat and if you don't set the time and temperature same as 4 ie, 23.00 and 10*c then the heating will stay on.

I have had quite a few customers who struggle with the instructions so i typed it out in plain English as a word document and give it to them so its easier, if you want send me your e-mail address and i will mail it to you.

Sponsored Links
People keep asking for instructions that I'm not sure even exist, from someone who probably doesn't even see the request. Does anyone get these instructions?

Also, the quoted instructions shown by LeedsPlumber in this thread are complete codswallop anyway, so you might want to look elsewhere if you have trouble working the Salus.

Sponsored Links
We are not getting any hot water via this thermostat - any ideas out there? We seem to be setting it correctly but no hot water!

This Thermostat is driving me up the wall... recently had one fitted along with a new boiler...

I currently have programmed as this…

Program 1 = 07:50, 19 degc. (When we wake up)

Program 2 = 09:00, 14 degc. (Cooling down to this temperature as we are out at work)

Program 3 = 17:00, 20 degc. (Warming back up for arrival back home from work)

Program 4 = 18:00, 21 degc. (At home)

Program 5 = 23:00, 10 degc. (at 11pm it knocks off and cools to 10degrees while we are in bed)

Am I right in assuming that the temperatures “rise” and “fall” at the specified times I have programmed. If that is correct then why is the heating still coming on during the night!!!

What have i got wrong here?

Is there any way to set the thermostat to say 20c and it just keeps that temperature all the time without these stupid 5/2 week day and weekend programms?

Sorry that my first post is a rant... i'll step down from my soap box now ;)

this post has been viewed by a lot of people unles someone is idle and keeps clicking on the post :)

This Thermostat is driving me up the wall... recently had one fitted along with a new boiler...

I currently have programmed as this…

Program 1 = 07:50, 19 degc. (When we wake up)

Program 2 = 09:00, 14 degc. (Cooling down to this temperature as we are out at work)

Program 3 = 17:00, 20 degc. (Warming back up for arrival back home from work)

Program 4 = 18:00, 21 degc. (At home)

Program 5 = 23:00, 10 degc. (at 11pm it knocks off and cools to 10degrees while we are in bed)

Am I right in assuming that the temperatures “rise” and “fall” at the specified times I have programmed. If that is correct then why is the heating still coming on during the night!!!
The heating may come on during the night, but only if the temperature drops below 10C. I'd be surprised if that is happening, very surprised if it happens in July!

No clue. Is the actual heating coming on during the night, or just the boiler firing? For how long does it stay on? What temperature is it near the thermostat when all this happens? Have you set if properly for each day?

Is there any way to set the thermostat to say 20c and it just keeps that temperature all the time without these stupid 5/2 week day and weekend programms?
Of course. Just set all five programs (for every day) to 20C :) Simples. Of course you'll have to get an air conditioner in your bedroom!

No clue. Is the actual heating coming on during the night, or just the boiler firing? For how long does it stay on? What temperature is it near the thermostat when all this happens? Have you set if properly for each day?

Hi, many thanks for replying

Exactly... i have purposly set it at 10c at night because there is no way especially in July that the temperature drops this low. From what i have seen, the thermostat has never dropped lower than 18c since it's been fitted therefore it shouldn't come on. It's actually woken us up on a couple of occasions its been that hot... the only way to knock it off is by turning the dial on the boiler for the radiators off.

Also if this makes any sense - I have it set at say 21c, the heating comes on and warms to say 23c... i would then presume the boiler/radiators would then cool until below 21c...before coming on again? The radiators remain permemantly hot to touch, it's like the thermostat isn't telling the boiler to stop heating..?
I have set each day up as the the programs i described originally... the weekend programs are similar as well

Thanks

Question that begs to be asked (not read the 9 pages) is the unit wired corectly and are the batteries in the transmitter new??

When you alter the temperature on the roomstat, does the LED on the reciever blink each time you heat call is made or deselected?

Question that begs to be asked (not read the 9 pages) is the unit wired corectly and are the batteries in the transmitter new??

When you alter the temperature on the roomstat, does the LED on the reciever blink each time you heat call is made or deselected?

Sorry for the late reply on this, i've been working away a lot.

When i alter the temperature(override), the LED does blink on/off... this seems to work fine. The boiler knocks on/off depending on the temperature set...

I had the guy come out the day before and he fitted a new thermostat and receiver (new batteries etc) and guess what, i woke up this morning at 5am sweating as the heating was at 21deg C still!
I had set the programme 5 to 10deg C....?

Tonight i'm trying Leeds plumbers theory on setting programme 4 and 5 the same ie 10 deg c to see if this works.

These Salus products are crap!

Isbt it about time the manufacturers produced a RF Stat that did have an on and off the things simplier to use for customers instead of having to reprogramme the temps for every hour

I have been looking at buying a Salus programmable thermostat to replace a wired programmable thermostat, and came across this thread.

After trawling through all the posts, it strikes me that many posters don't fully understand what a programmable thermostat is, regardless of whether it is wired or wireless.

In the good old days, most heating systems had a programmer that would be set to switch the heating on or off at various times. There would also be a seperate thermostat that would control the temperature. Therefore if the programmer was in its ON time, then the thermostat would switch the boiler on and off. If the programmer was in its OFF time, then the thermostat would have no effect.

A programmable thermostat is a more recent device that combines the two functions and therefore replaces both programmer and thermostat. Therefore if a programmable thermostat is fitted, then the original programmer and thermostat should be removed. Although the programmer could be retained but it must be set to constant ON.

When a PT is fitted it simply monitors temperature and fires up the boiler when the temp falls below the preset value. Technically the boiler is switched on all the time, but not actually fired up and using energy until the thermostat calls for heat. The good thing about the PT is that it can be programmed to set different temperatures at different times of the day, usually 4 or 5 settings over 24 hours. You have to set a desired temp for each time zone. Usually the last time will be the overnight one which you would set at a low temperature. You have to allocate a temperature for each time zone. They can be all the same or all different. Therefore if you wanted a constant 20deg over 24hours, then every time zone would be set at 20.

A typical programme might be :-

1. 7.00am 20deg warm the house before you get out of bed
2. 9.00am 15deg background heat whilst you are at work
3. 4.00pm 22deg warm up before you return home
4. 9.00pm 29deg just to keep warm before bed
5. 11.00pm 7deg overnight frost protection

At 7.00 then next day the cycle starts again.

It does confuse people because there is no actual on and off settings, but if the room temp falls below the set temp, then the system will be well and truly off.

Hope this helps anyone who is still confused.

My big problem with the thermostat is that keeps firing the central heating even tho is not needed because the programmed temperature is reached. Because of this we ended up consuming more gas than we did in the same period last year when was much colder. This is ridiculous, shouldn't it wait until it goes 1-2 degrees under the programmed temperature before starting to heat again?
Second problem and probably the biggest, is that that the room thermostat does not read the real temperature. it shows 20 when the real temperature is 17.5.
I think we'll take this off and send it back, use the basic on/off central heating, at least it won't fire up the heating when is not needed.

I have had a similar problem to some of the posters here. The controller would usually turn the heating on when required, but frequently would fail to turn it off again when the set temperature was reached. The "flashing flame" icon on the controller went out correctly, but the green light on the receiver box remained on.

By moving the controller nearer to the receiver, I worked out that my problem was poor radio reception. This wasn't surprising, as the "expert" installer had located the receiver about 2" from the metal side of the boiler. I guess that reception was made worse by RFI from pumps etc. in the boiler when it was running, which probably explains why turning boiler firing on appeared to be more reliable than turning it off again.

Anyhow, I moved the receiver so that it is now about 12" away from the nearest metalwork, and everything now works as expected.

I have to say that I'm quite surprised that the controller/receiver pair do not have some sort of handshake, so that the user can be alerted to a failure of the radio communication. But then the user interface is really clunky as well, so maybe it's just a badly-designed piece of garbage...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back