Salus rt500rf receiver faulty - red light but green light is staying on but no action from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reset unit changed batteries in thermostat, get red light on receiver so have power. Get green light on so talking to thermostat but only stays on for around 10-15 seconds. So seems boiler is not getting message, is the receiver faulty?

Sponsored Links
If the thermostat is still calling for heat, the green light on the receiver should stay on, so it would appear that something is amiss.

There may be a communication problem, is there something between the two units that blocks the RF signal? for example a new fridge freezer? or has the room thermostat been moved further away from the receiver?

I have come across two instances where there was the same device in a neighbouring property that switched the device next door on or off. The problem is that all RT500RF's leave the factory with the same RF settings, and few installers bother to change it. If that is the case manually changing the RF code to a different setting will resolve it. The instructions tell you how on pages 9 to 11. But make sure you follow them to the letter

Thank you will try that although I don’t know of anything that has changed. It is my daughters house so will check that next doors renovation has not changed anything but change the frequency anyway tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Baxi boiler don’t know model at the moment, it is going to be replaced in a month or so

Has the boiler thermostat been lowered at all? Is there a time switch for it, and heating selected if yes?

Boiler stat has not been altered, yes there is a time switch but same issue as set to constant + heating selected. Issue found after heating left off for a couple of months although hot water was left on. It was simply after checking the temp that she realised that it was not heating up regardless of the temp setting

If you have a short piece of wire, you could try putting a link in between the live and switched at receiver or at boiler, this would help determine if it’s the stat or boiler.

We are thinking of hard wiring it tomorrow as a temp fix before the boiler is replaced. Looking at some of the reported issues these are perhaps not the best remote thermostats

Reset unit changed batteries in thermostat, get red light on receiver so have power. Get green light on so talking to thermostat but only stays on for around 10-15 seconds.

I read that to mean that the green light on the Salus is switching off after 10-15 seconds, in which case it's the Salus that is at fault. If the green light is staying on but the boiler goes off, more likely to be the boiler.

Last edited:
That does seem to be the general consensus. However, I have a Salus RT500RF controlling an electric heater that has worked perfectly for over 10 years. [Do I get a medal for it? :)] I don't like it because it's horrible to operate. The only reason I bought it is because at the time it was the only wireless thermostat I could find that had sufficient switching capacity for a 3kW electric heater.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I was being told the green light was going off after a short time, it is not. So the issue seems to be from the receiver to the boiler so o suspect it is faulty. Yes they do seem to be a rubbish device so it and the boiler are to be replaced very soon. Temp fix will be to run boiler without the Salus device

I was being told the green light was going off after a short time, it is not. So the issue seems to be from the receiver to the boiler so o suspect it is faulty. Yes they do seem to be a rubbish device so it and the boiler are to be replaced very soon. Temp fix will be to run boiler without the Salus device
The relay in the receiver is very poor, they fail for fun, just link it out till you replace it, you can replace it before you get a new boiler and the new one can be linked to the new boiler, there are far better brands on the market than Salus

That’s what we are doing and replacing the remote entirely, it only has to last a couple of weeks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back