Same old prep questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done a search and read about wall prep yet still have questions. (sorry)
its a bathroom and the tiles are 250x400 x7/8mm thick
I am tiling floor to ceiling
There will be one bath and one 1000x800 seperate shower cubicle
All 4 walls are solid with plaster (no plasterboard )
50% of the walls have been painted at some stage and also part tiled ontop of said paint and then tiles have been removed - resulting plaster damage repaired with new plaster. So not much painted area left.
I did have a 800 square shower that I tiled straight on to onecoat plaster - the white stuff about 12 years ago.
But I read that I should not of done this and should of done some sort of waterproofing prep but I didnt and all was perfect underneath - infact they were a right pain to get off and I ended up re skimming most of the shower area.
I also read that I should of used silicone and not grout in the wall to wall join in the shower, yet all is perfectly dry underneath and no cracks anywhere.

So maybe i was lucky, maybe its because the shower points at the glass and not on the wall, but should I use SBR on the new one coat plaster, and whats the difference in using SBR or somthing calling itself a primer. and should I use silicone in the wall to wall join.

And what about adhesive, I plan to use BAL, but should I use powder or ready mix.

Also I have in the past tiled a whole bathroom with a 6mm ROUND notch trowel with 500x250 tiles, Should I get a 8mm square one instead

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back