Samsung DVD combo drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a recent auto update, Windows 7 has decided it no longer likes my Samsung SH-B123L Blue ray DVD combo drive & reports it’s disabled it “due to code 43”. The drive was part of a new box bought/built in Feb 2011 & has worked faultlessly up until about 10 days ago, the last time I burnt several DVD’s. I thought System Restore would cure it but Windows has thoughtfully deleted all restore points, absolutely none there; why does it do that when you will most need it?

I’ve tried Windows support which is about as much use as a chocolate ashtray & I’ve tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drive without luck, Widows just reports I have the correct driver but has disabled the drive ------- due to code 43 :evil: ! I’ve searched hours over the last couple of days for a new driver but I can’t find any driver updates on the Samsung support site, only firmware updates; downloaded the firmware update but when I try to run the EXE file, it reports “cannot find the drive”.

I know there is nothing wrong with the DVD drive as I have dual OS & it runs perfectly if I boot to Win XP. It’s unusual for me to come up blank with problems of this sort & I may be missing the bleedin obvious but does anyone have any ideas before I go insane out of frustration or buy a new drive? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Have you looked here
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...HP_enGB447GB447&q=win+7+code+43+error[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that; yes I’ve seen all the instruction links/recommendations & tried but some of the sites are just offering scan software, tell you there is a driver problem (no kidding) & then want to charge you 30 quid for some fancy software that I suspect probably wont cure it anyway, probably just a list of links to the manufacturer’s support web page.

I reckon the problem is definitely something Windows have done via their most recent updates as even when I uninstall/delete the current driver, Windows installs its generic driver at next boot. A check in Device Properties insists it’s the current & correct driver but Windows still insists on disabling the drive reporting code 43; pretty dumb really! I am going to try to manually install the original Samsung driver (if I can find it) from a hard drive copy of the original install disk but I don’t hold out much hope as Windows will probably overwrite it at the first opportunity with their supposedly more up to date generic driver.

I’ll see if I get any more luck here & then try elsewhere, thanks for the links.

DVD drives don't have special drivers, so I imagine you'll have some trouble finding it..

Have you tried uninstalling the device, shutting down, disconnecting the drive, booting up, then reconnecting the drive?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for posting ;)
DVD drives don't have special drivers, so I imagine you'll have some trouble finding it..
Ah that's new to me but would explain;
I’ve searched hours over the last couple of days for a new driver but I can’t find any driver updates on the Samsung support site, only firmware updates.
but doesnlt really explain;
downloaded the firmware update but when I try to run the EXE file, it reports “cannot find the drive”.
Have you tried uninstalling the device, shutting down, disconnecting the drive, booting up, then reconnecting the drive?
I have uninstalled (several times) & rebooted but:
when I uninstall/delete the current driver, Windows installs its generic driver at next boot. A check in Device Properties insists it’s the current & correct driver but Windows still insists on disabling the drive reporting code 43; pretty dumb really!
Are your saying uninstall, reboot & then connect the drive to a live MB; surely not! :confused:

but doesnlt really explain;
downloaded the firmware update but when I try to run the EXE file, it reports “cannot find the drive”.

Sure it does. If the device isn't working, how can the software use an ATAPI DOWNLOAD MICROCODE command to update the firmware?

Are your saying uninstall, reboot & then connect the drive to a live MB; surely not! :confused:

Why not? You could shut the machine down, reconnect the drive, and start it up again, but that's generally just time wasted.

Sure it does. If the device isn't working, how can the software use an ATAPI DOWNLOAD MICROCODE command to update the firmware?
Well, yea that makes sense but it’s a bit chicken & egg with Windows refusing to recognise it! :confused:

Why not? You could shut the machine down, reconnect the drive, and start it up again, but that's generally just time wasted.
Well that’s enlightening & thanks for that. I’m a little rusty being raised on IDE & didn’t realise "hot plugging" was acceptable with SATA; something new (to me) , I will give it a go & report back. ;)

Thinks; but won't Windows 7 find the drive & just install the same generic driver as it does from uninstall/re-boot & report code 43 again??? :confused:

Update; unfortunately "hot plugging" made no difference at all, even tried a different mobo SATA port.

I managed to upgrade the drive firmware by booting to my other O/S (XP) & after checking the drive worked OK, rebooted Win 7. I’d already previously uninstalled the drive & Win 7 duly reported "new device found", then reported "installing device driver" ----- & then come back with "device not correctly installed, code 43". :evil:

Not really sure what else I can do now :confused: , anyone suggest anything?

Sponsored Links
Back