DVD/CD Drive and Norton 360 System Restore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at a loss with this one and hoping some of you guys can help.

I have a pal with a DVD/CD Drive in his computer. He's only recently noticed however that the Drive isn't reading Audio CD's (it had previously been able to do this). It will play a DVD with sound no problem. You can insert a CD-R Disk and use Nero to write files (including MP3s) to the CD-R Disk. The Drive can see this disk and you can access the files and play the MP3's. However, if you insert an ordinary Audio CD, the little green drive light come on (as normal), then stops flashing and nothing happens! Not even an error message. This is the same with ANY Audio CD. We tested the CD's on a normal Stereo System and they all work perfectly.

We've updated the Drivers and tried System Restore although that's another issue as it fails to restore. I think his Norton 360 is blocking this but I'm not sure and have no idea how to stop it interrupting a Restore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What O/S?

Does the CD appear correctly in My Computer with an audio CD inserted?

Is the drive associated with a player? What happens if you double click the drive in My Computer?

Does the drive have a headphone jack? If so, disconnect the data cable from the drive, insert an audio CD and and monitor with headphones.

Post the results.

dave.m, many thanks. I'll give that a whirl when I get round there.

Igorian, he has XP. The Drive shows in My Computer and changes to show the name of the Disk when a DVD is inserted. When a CD is inserted however, the Drive still shows in MY Computer but there is no reference to the disk at all. Not even when the drive light has stopped flashing and the drive has stopped spinning! There was no Headphone jack that I could see. Thank you for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Put a CD in the drive.
In My Computer, right click on the drive icon and select Properties.
In the Autorun tab scroll down to Music CD select Windows Media Player
Remove the dot fdrom 'Prompt me every time'
then click Apply and OK.

dave

Thanks again Dave. I've just emailed him your instructions. I'll report the outcome when I have any news.

Just an update on this one for ya lads. Here's a reply I got from the lad the other night. I haven't been back yet but the problem seems to be more sporadic that I first thought.
I put a disc in and before I even looked at My Computer, Windows Media Player opened and the music began! I tried it again, and the music began, but then the sound cut out while the status bar kept moving!? I ejected, followed your suggestion, put the disc in, and…it played the whole first track. I then stopped it, and did it again, with success. I went downstairs, got other discs, put the new one in (which hadn’t played at all), and…it still won’t play. I put in another disk which I’d already ripped into My Music, and it wouldn’t play. I put back in the first disc of this whole session: no problems, played OK. And another that I’d ripped months ago played OK too.

I cannot make any sense of this!
Any further input is gratefully accepted.

The ones that didn't play, could he hear the disk spinning?
Has he been into My Computer when the disk was inserted but not playing and checked the drive icon to see if it is recognising the disk.

Yeah, When I was round there I looked at 'My Computer' when a disk was in the drive Dave. No recognition.

Having read his reply above I really am stumped!

How old is the CD Drive?
Could it do with a head cleaner running through it.
Do all the cds play on another cd player, say in the car and if they do, do they play with decent quality.
dave

Yeah all play in 'other' CD Drives Dave. His PC is about 2 years old I believe. As for a 'Head Cleaner' I ain't seen one of those. Do you mean the type with the brush things on? I didn't know they could be used for PC drives... having said that, I'm now thinking why not? :confused: Can one of those be used Dave?

Sponsored Links
Back