Combo Drive CD-RW / dvd writer Faulty or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hav a HP Pavillion Desktop XP just over a year old. The comb drive Reads and plays DVD's, but no longer plays or reads Music or Data CD's

I assumed there there would only be one lazer and if it didn't work then it wouldn't read anything, is it possible that just the laser that reads cd's is duff. It just says insert Cd in drive E: or opens ablank explorer page.

Sponsored Links
to work with all the different types of disks available the drive is equipped with methods of changing the focal point of the laser to the disk surface and it may be that your drive's laser head has gone out of alignment and needs readjusting, check at your local repairers.

Combo drives are now quite cheap and it would be more economical to replace then repair.

Igorian said:
Combo drives are now quite cheap and it would be more economical to replace then repair.
You may be able to trade in the old one and get something for it rather than just throwing it away, especially if it only needs a re-adjustment, so it might still be worth a chat with your local repairers?

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but a new combo will cost less than £25. I think the time taken to open the drive, connect it to a scope and adjust the FM envelope (and then find the laser is duff anyway) would incur costs exceeding this.

I understand where you're coming from Igorian, shame that we have such a throwaway society though, besides he may have to take it to a dealer anyway to have the drive replaced?

Yes, a very chuck away world. We used to sell a Lexmark all in one Printer/scanner/copier for £49.99. If you look at the price of the ink, it almost pays to throw the printer away and get a new one, once the cartridges are empty.

Igorian said:
Yes, a very chuck away world. We used to sell a Lexmark all in one Printer/scanner/copier for £49.99. If you look at the price of the ink, it almost pays to throw the printer away and get a new one, once the cartridges are empty.
Of course the manufacturers will keep the price just significantly high enough to stop that happening but if a price war develops then it could lead to one or another manufacturer becoming insolvent(that'll teach the bugg*rs).

you could always mount the old "drive" under a shelf, connect it to an old pc, psu, and use it to hold your cup of tea. ( I have one)

breezer said:
you could always mount the old "drive" under a shelf, connect it to an old pc, psu, and use it to hold your cup of tea. ( I have one)
Funny you say that breezer there is a small program around that does just that it says it's a cup holder and when you click on it it opens your cd draw :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back