cannot find a drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been playing with my new sony handycam( hard drive )serial no DCR SR35E. I have managed to import the video on to the PC, but when I try to "one touch" burn it onto a DVD it comes up with a message ...

cannot find a drive to write to, connect a drive :confused:

bit dumb when it come so PCs :oops: anyway ive looked in device manager under drivers it shows... DVD/CD-rom drives .. lite on combo LTC 48161H if thats any help :) under my computer it shows. DVD/CD-RW drive ( D ) cheers P M

Sponsored Links
This page confirms that you have a CD rewriter that can also read DVD's.

You cannot burn DVD's.

You can burn CD's so should be able to do it if the file size is under 650/700 mb ish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony I will go with that, another daft Q i take it its just a matter of taking the other one out and replacing it with the new one ? ive noticed there is a blank front to fit another when i take it off i cant see any cables/connectors at the back cheers

The simplest way would be as you describe - just replace your old drive with the new one using the existing IDE cable.

Alternatively you may wish to keep the old drive and also install the new drive by removing the blanking plate in your PC. In that case you should ideally install to a separate IDE channel assuming your motherboard has a spare IDE connector. Some installation instructions Here

I bought a pioneer DVR-216 DVD/CD writer, on inspection the connectors at the back are not the same as the one I want to replace in PC, the DVD rom in PC has a IDE cable and another connector which contains 4 wires.. 1 red 2 blacks 1 yellow.

the connector at the back of the pioneer has 2 seperate sections of holes/contacts and isnt as wide as the IDE cable so have i just bought the wrong one or is there any connectors i can buy to convert it tho i cant see how cheers P M

I bought a pioneer DVR-216 DVD/CD writer, on inspection the connectors at the back are not the same .......have i just bought the wrong one or is there any connectors i can buy to convert it tho i cant see how cheers P M
Oh dear, yes you have bought the wrong one. The device you have bought is a SATA device and requires a different connector to the one you require for your motherboard.

You can buy a convertor e.g. http://www.amazool.com/en/new-ide-t...bilateral-adapter-converter.html?currency=GBP or do a search on google for IDE to SATA convertor.

I have not had experience of these convertors and admit to being a little sceptical about their performance. My preference would be to contact the supplier and ask about an exchange for IDE drive - it may cost you something e.g. postage but I think it is preferable to messing about with conversion

Sponsored Links
Back