Samsung Galaxy J1 Wi-Fi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any suggestions as to why I can't switch the Wi-Fi to on on my Samsung Galaxy J1 mobile. Tried alway I know on the setting page but still the Wi-Fi remains stubbornly OFF.

Sponsored Links
it was encouraging as I have never known about Developer options.
I managed to authorise Wireless display and switch it on but unfortunately it made no difference to me being able to switch on the wi-fi.
SO still struggling.
Thanks so much for your help though.

In my experience once phones get to this kind of age they begin to become so incompatible with the latest Apps so as to become unusable/unstable. Also you'll find no help written in the last say 3 years on Google as only about 5 die hards around the world are still using that model of phone. I'm not saying that's definitely the issue but I'd not be surprised. Everyone else has stumped up for a newer model and resigned that model to the back of the sock drawer. It's a shame but the way it is.

But saying that have you actually googled it?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=samsung+j1+cannot+turn+on+wifi&sxsrf=ALeKk01ixEjWXbP5FrS9FJZcs3ZFWz6ZHg:1617621388695&ei=jPFqYPXpKfLlxgPOuZ6oBw&oq=samsung+j1+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIECCMQJzIHCAAQyQMQQzIECAAQQzIECAAQQzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6BAgAEEdQwRtYwRtg6SVoAHABeACAAVOIAVOSAQExmAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input everybody, it was all a great help.
I did the Google Search Suggested by 'freddiemercurystwin', that identified a site called 'Technobess'. Apparently this is a known issue with Samsung Galaxy phones and it had a few suggestions but the one that seems to have done the trick is a Phone Reboot. A weird series of operations which included some instruction such as switching on Airplane mode, powering down, removing the battery for 5 mins, then pressing the start button for one minute without the battery in place for some very odd inexplicable reason, then replacing the battery and restarting the phone. Apparently this reboots the phone which simply powering down and restarting doesn't do.
After restart and switch Airplane Mode off, the Wi-Fi started up correctly, and WhatsApp requested a reload and Hey Presto all seems to be working. Having said that, I have been successful in getting things going for a couple of days, all for it to fall apart again. This time the restart was a little different so I am very hopeful of a solution. Fingers Crossed(y)(y)(y).
If it all falls apart again I will of course post to let you all know.
Thanks again for all of your help everyone especially of course freddymercurystwin.

Don't forget that people still use those older smart phones

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Presto all seems to be working. Having said that, I have been successful in getting things going for a couple of days, all for it to fall apart again.
Unfortunately this is precisely the typically behaviour these old phones display, once some random App updates randomly during the night, conflicts occur and the 'Computer Says No'!

OOPPSS!!!!! A false dawn.
My wife's Samsung J1 WhatsApp operated perfect for two days, then failed again. This was after the encouraging results of a Reboot.
I'll try a few more 'fixes' as suggested by 'freddiemercurystwin' google search link, but I think the 'phone is destined for the back of the sock draw.
At least I tried EH!

Also worth noting is that it won't be a secure device anymore, even if you get it running properly, the android software will be years out of date.

In the end I took freddiemercurystwin's advice and replaced the old Steam Driven Samsung J1. I was going to go for the Samsung Galaxy 20e and then had a rethink and looked at cheaper alternatives. Thought the Honor phone looked good until I realised is was actually a Huawei phone and they have issues with Google so backed off. Ended up with a Alcatel iB. It a bottom of the range thing and that is all we wanted and at £70 it was a ridiculous low price. Got to say its performance is exactly what we wanted and are delighted with it.
Thank you all for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Back