samsung ht-z120 to ps3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys,

recently got this home cinema unit and am trying to connect it so my ps3 plays through it as 5.1. At the moment it goes; hdmi from tv to ps3 - ps3 to aux in through phono to the unit. this is ok but the center and two rear speakers don't work. i've also changed to audio settings on my ps3 to 'audio input connector'.

any help on how to get the other speakers to work would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I thought the PS3 had an optical output which just needs connecting to the optical input on your surround system no need to bypass the TV.

if your receiver supports 5.1 over hdmi (if it's recent it almost certainly will) then :

Cables:

PS3 -> receiver using HDMI
receiver output -> TV using HDMI

Settings:

Whatever your receiver needs and to work that out you should read your manual.

I wouldn't connect the PS3 to the tele. Put your receiver in the middle and use the receiver remote to do the switching. Set your tele to always get it's video input from the receiver. Turn the tele sound down. Control sound volume using receiver remote for everything.

Do the same with your sky and blue ray.

BUT

You will need an optical cable to get 5.1 from sky (if you have sky hd). Or you did last time I checked, you can google to see if its changed.

Sponsored Links
Ok, googled it, and it's quite a low end system, seems like a DVD player with 5.1 output for the DVD. So basically, I don't think you can do what you want to do.

When you get a newer system then connect as I said above.....

The problem is getting the centre and rear speakers to work when the source is connected via the AUX sockets. That doesn't need an Optical connection. The HT-Z120 has Dolby ProLogic II (DPLII). This will spread the sound across all speakers if the right buttons are pressed.

1) Read your manual - page 48, the section titled "DOLBY PRO LOGIC II MODE" and get familiar with the DLPII Mode button and using the left and right cursor key on the remote

2) Play something via the TV. Select the AUX input on the HT-Z120

3) Use the remote to activate DPLII mode. Use the left and right cursor keys to step through the different DPLII options.

That's all there is to it.

That's a good solution.

Dolby Prologic II never ceases to amaze me on how it turns 2 channels into almost believable surround sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back