Cracker of a puzzle. HD tv with no hdmi and no sound :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bedroom I have my old LCD tv which suddenly stopped given us any sound. Been into repair shop and they have tried everything but doesn't work.
I have Sky in my sitting room which I have taken into my bedroom via normal aerial cable and magic eye. The sound comes directly from the Audio out on the Sky box to external speakers in my bedroom.
I should say I live in a ground floor flat and i have run all the cables under the floor.
I also have my PS3 in the sitting room as the tv in there has the hdmi. My problem is though, how can I get my PS3 to work on my faulty tv in the bedroom for when the wife is watching all her soaps for 3 hrs a night in the sitting room??
I have run a hdmi from the PS3 to the bedroom and bought one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Component-Cab...uting_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3a54b98b3c
connected them using a hdmi to hdmi coupling but no signal is being received on my faulty tv.
The cable i ordered from ebay says "low voltage 80oC 30v Computer cable" on it.
Have I ordered the wrong thing or is what Im trying impossible to do?
Please help I have the new Call of Duty and I cant get near my sitting room tv :(
I also cant move the PS3 to the bedroom as she watches avchd dvds from her friend on it and she doesnt want it moved and what she says goes!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply. My faulty tv is HD ready but it does not have a hdmi input. To get HD you need to use component or whatever. I used to use my xbox360 in the bedroom on the same tv using component and could get 1080 on it.

I'm not saying absolutely that it doesn't exist, but I have yet to come across any device where the HDMI socket gives an analog component output. In fact, I was preyty sure that HDMI is an all-digital connection, so cables like this couldn't possibly work* with a direct HDMI output.

The Ebay listing is also very specific...

The cable doesn't own the chip to convert digital signals to analog signals, so it only fits for the devices which itself can convert digital signals to analog signals.

Wouldn't you have been better off buying a PS3 Component cable and then adding an extension to that?

* The cable might work with analog out via a DVI-I or DVI-A socket coupled with a DVI to HDMI adapter..but what a pa lava

Sponsored Links
I've never used a PS3 so I could be talking rubbish, but are you trying to send a 1080p signal to it? (possible rubbish bit that as I don't know how PS3 works) but component can only take 1080i max as can your TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back