HDMI Splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was on the verge of buying a AV reciever when in the final moments of checking the one I wanted only had one HDMI out.

This is not what I want and a two outlet is out of my range and not made by Sony.

I have discovered I should be able to join together my Sky+, PS3, Wii and DVD player into a splitter that has two outlets which should give me a lead in the Lounge and also the conservatory.

However what I'm not sure of is can I do two different things at the same time, ie watch SKY in the conservatory and play the PS3 in the lounge, or other such combinations or does the splitter just send the one input to both TV's.

If this is the case how do I achieve different viewing in different rooms???

Sponsored Links
Yes, a splitter splits the input signal.
Also beware that some splitters are incompatible with Sky Digiboxes. Be sure to get a "powered" type because the Sky Box won't deliver enough power.

Don't think it splits the way you want it to mate.

I have an AVR which i'm guessing you don't fancy buying even though they are the best accompaniment for all the kit you have.
I also had a powered HDMI splitter that has 2 outputs, so i could watch/play whatever on the tv, projector or both, but it won't split the output across 2 different inputs sources.

To get a fully active input/output splitter whereby you can select which input goes to which output (if one exists) i reckon they would cost quite a lot.

edit: just realised you said you were on the verge of buying an AVR, sorry.

The device you are looking for is called a HDMI matrix switch, don't expect it to be cheap though.

Sponsored Links
I have the same set up.

My HDMI from the Sky Box goes into a splitter, one output from the splitter goes to my AV receiver and the other output goes into the other reception room.

My HDMI from my xBox does the same, into a splitter with one output to the AV receiver and the other to the reception room.

Both cables in the reception room go into the TV and I can select game/TV depending on what I want to do.

The downside is that you need to run 2 x HDMI cables (I use 15m ones with no problem at all).

Only the devices in the same room as the AV receiver will run through it, but you probably dont want them running through it if you are sitting in the other room anyway.

The HDMI splitter's I use were about £15 each from ebay and again work perfectly.

Thanks for the info guys, Kjacko if I went the AVR route and added the matrix after the reviever would I be able to watch to seperate TVs/game at the same time? (I'm thinking not as the AVR will only use one input at a time)

The cable.com option looks good and not too expensive at £90, well cheaper than an AVR.

Also needs to be 3D comapitable as both the Tv's and DVD is!

Might also look at the Cat5 route so I can spread the TV around the house!!

One thing that came to me this morning whilst driving to work, how do I control the different inputs from another room, will the remotes work via the tv or do I need to add somethign else for control.

I've tested the PS3 and it works form the other room but the DVD player will be a problem I think (magic used for Sky work OK as well!)

I use a harmony one to control all my stuff.
You could buy one programm it for all your kit and it in one room, leaving the originals in the other room?

Just had a look at one on Amazon, silly question how does it work if the equipment is on another room??

Just had a look at one on Amazon, silly question how does it work if the equipment is on another room??

I mentioned it so you can have a remote in each room, but i see you mean if you are in the 2nd room and need to control the kit that's in the 1st room?
Err, not sure mate tbh.
Most remotes are IR, so i'm sure you can get a plug in booster of some sort.

I found this little device which seems to do what I want, [url+http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson-Injector-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B005KLROCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355736638&sr=8-1//url] however I am not sure whether it will pass the 3D signal through as well, its not that big a deal if only one TV has 3D (I cant see it myself so its only for the kids!)

So it looks like I have all the info just need to get everything together, this is what hoildays are for!!

Kenable have the same generic kit at £18.95. LINK. Their web site shows more information. It claims 3D support. However, read some of the Amazon customer reviews. Quite a few say there's problems controlling Sky boxes. One customer says he ended up putting in a coax lead and Sky eye just for control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back