HDMI Splitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have four HDMI units to feed into my TV that only has three HDMI sockets, so I need a "decent" splitter so I can have all four items connected at once, can anyone recommend one?
The only problem I have is that one of the units is a PS3 and we have had issues in the past with splitters and the PS3 conflicting so that we have had to unplug the PS with other units, so that the PS3 has to be unplugged to allow the unit split with it to put a signal into the TV.

Sponsored Links
First post! :)

He's right, I recently got a HDMI switch unit from ebay (loads on there by the way for reasonable prices) for a very similar reason.

I'll give my usual advice - as for splitters.
Don't spend loads of dough on the HDMI cables then skimp on the HDMI switch.

Sponsored Links
Get a Neet switcher from Amazon - good quality, decent price and good support if there are any issues.

I use one with PS3 and no issues :mrgreen:

Don't spend loads of dough on an HDMI cable at all! They're a digital copper cable so a 99p one from Amazon works exactly the same as a £100 Monster cable. Expensive HDMI cables have to be the biggest ripoff going!

Similar with HDMI switches, it's a verrry simple digital circuit that switches one input to another, there's virtually no opportunity to add distortion or interference to an HDMI signal, it either works perfectly or doesn't work at all.

So yeah, don't get the cheapest switch you can possibly find, as it will be slow to switch, have a crappy remote sensor and look horrible. Spend a bit, but don't go mad.

That NEET stuff on Amazon looks perfect, and pretty cheap too.

Don't spend loads of dough on an HDMI cable at all! They're a digital copper cable so a 99p one from Amazon works exactly the same as a £100 Monster cable. Expensive HDMI cables have to be the biggest ripoff going!

Within reason. If you need to run HDMI over 5 meters, a heavier gauge of cable is necessary - I have found this out the hard way running a cheap 15m cable and getting a terrible picture and sound!

Interesting... When you say "terrible" picture and sound could you elaborate? I was under the impression that the nature of HDMI means that it either works 100% or it doesn't work at all.

Were you getting artifacting on the screen? Sound dropping out?

I've heard of long, unshielded cables causing the connection to intermittently be lost, but never heard of "quality" being affected.

Interesting... When you say "terrible" picture and sound could you elaborate? I was under the impression that the nature of HDMI means that it either works 100% or it doesn't work at all.

I've heard of long, unshielded cables causing the connection to intermittently be lost, but never heard of "quality" being affected.

The picture would roll every few seconds, and the sound would make a loud pop in time with this.

The picture would roll every few seconds, and the sound would make a loud pop in time with this.

Ah yeah. That makes sense. So rather than getting "interference", what it sounds like was happening is that you would lose the connection entirely for a split second, then it would come back again.

Different TVs / HDMI receivers treat signal dropout differently. Most TVs would go blank for a few seconds and put a "Signal Lost" message on the screen or something. Sounds like yours decided to just keep going and ignore the fact that it was missing some frames. ;)

Since sound and video are transmitted together on HDMI, that's why you got the pop at the same time. It was actually the sound dropping out completely then coming back again.

Yeah, if you try and run a light gauge cable too far this can happen, but for distances of a couple of metres you can use the cheapest cables possible and have perfect signal quality.

Well it is an LG TV, so I don't expect much from it tbh! Cheap tat.....

I just bought a Duronic HDMI smart switch on ebay for less than 4 pounds including postage. Works a treat for me as it switches automatically when a device is switched on. Does not use any external power at all so it sits on the end of the TV HDMI and will switch between any three inputs. It has a little button to manual cycle between devices connected if the auto does not do quite what you intended. I don't have a PS3 so can't comment if that would be a problem

Does not use any external power at all
That can cause a problem - especially with Sky Digiboxes that seem incapable of supplying enough power. It can result in unpredictable symptoms. If it works for you that's great but people need to be aware that a self-powered unit (with its own power supply) is less risky.

Pinching power from the HDMI line is a bad idean really, full stop. The HDMI specs don't accommodate powering "other" devices. The 5V carried by HDMI connectors is there to power the HDMI board in the sink device (TV/projector/AV amp etc) for things such as handshaking. Besides, it doesn't provide that much current to handle other devices sucking juice.

Go with external power for switches and splitters. It is by far the safer solution. :)

Hmm,

Six people responding to the thread excluding my own. Just one recommendation neet by phatboy (exclude mine as I don't doubt the comments made re self powered units ). So what gives ?

Do you well informed guys have none to recommend?

The key item by the OP was "can anyone recommend one?"

Edit: And just looking at the neet smart switch it seems to be identical to the one I got and self powered but does seem to have the option to plug in a 5V adapter (extra purchase) for longer cable runs. So does phatboy use external power with his?

Edit again: LOL it would seem the HDMI 5V is not the only thing used for handshaking. Just looked at the thanks stats. Lucid and Sam Gangee clearly have a lot to learn from each other. Quite innocent I'm sure but funny all the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back