samsung q210 laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the computer screen goes black after a few seconds re press the power button as if it sgone to sleep then it fires up again.Alas it then repeats the same fault.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like the power settings. What op system have you on it ???

sorry for the delay in getting back,thanks for the advice.Sorry to vista!!!

Sounds like the invertors have died, they fire up then die.

Invertors can be likened to startup capacitors in florescent lights, when they fail, no light.

Sponsored Links

Invertors can be likened to startup capacitors in florescent lights, when they fail, no light.

They don't have inverters. The primary capacitor may be faulty, there could be dry joints, or some other problem. You can get a PSU tester from Maplins to see which supplies are down (12V, -12V, 5V, -5V, or 3.3V)

They don't have inverters. The primary capacitor may be faulty, there could be dry joints, or some other problem. You can get a PSU tester from Maplins to see which supplies are down (12V, -12V, 5V, -5V, or 3.3V)

So, how do laptop screens work, in your world? It's nothing to do with the main PSU, but the illumination of the laptop screen..?

Attach a normal monitor to the laptop, old style CRT, to see if you get some output, and switch the display to external, as I expect the laptop to be shutting down due to excess current drawn throught the invertors. But I would have thought you dismissed a PSU fault, as a laptop works on battery, or PSU, and as you have mentioned neither, presume the next cause.

A PC PSU tester is expensive, how much is a Laptop PSU tester? Better to take it to the shop for a diagnosis. Generic Laptop PSU's are available.

I have never come across a TFT screen that didn't have an inverter...

Aditionally I have never experienced an inverter thank cops out after a few seconds. To date they have either worked or not worked but i am willing to accept that they can phase in and out.

I would suggest that you just boot and go into the bios and leave it like that for a while. If it is the inverter that is faulty it should still cop out if micky's suggestion is correct.

Alternatively boot with any old OS, eg win 98, ubuntu, mini xp or whatever. All you are trying to do at this point is determine if the screen still blanks out when you are not running Vista.

If, for eg, the live version of ubuntu runs ok then you will know that it is not the inverter but vista that is faulty.

Aditionally I have never experienced an inverter thank cops out after a few seconds. To date they have either worked or not worked but i am willing to accept that they can phase in and out.

I would suggest that you just boot and go into the bios and leave it like that for a while. If it is the inverter that is faulty it should still cop out if micky's suggestion is correct.

Alternatively boot with any old OS, eg win 98, ubuntu, mini xp or whatever. All you are trying to do at this point is determine if the screen still blanks out when you are not running Vista.

If, for eg, the live version of ubuntu runs ok then you will know that it is not the inverter but vista that is faulty.

Invertor is basically a starter on a flo tube, so you never saw a flo tube flicking on and off? But in this setup, high voltage they go bang!

Invertor is basically a starter on a flo tube, so you never saw a flo tube flicking on and off? But in this setup, high voltage they go bang!

Hi Micky

As I said i have never seen it happen that way on a tft but I am more than happy to accept what you say.

So is the inverter just for the backlighting? and if so does it mean that LED backlit (or oled) screens have no inverter?

Thanks

Thanks monkeh

Just out of interest- what kind of backlighting do TFT use- is it similar to a very thin fluorescent?

i have just carried out a repair to my other halfs ibm laptop,and after doing a search on google found a lot of how to posts on carrying out the correct repairs,if you look close enough then you can still see an image on the screen,
and it said to start with replacing the invertor which was found behind the screen bezel,and if that didnt work then the ccfl needed to be replaced(which is a pain in the arris to do)anyways obtained an invertor and no change,so i took the screen apart and found 1 of the wires on the lamp had snapped so i resoldered it put everything back together and hey presto got it working.
as alredy said plug it into another screen to make sure there is nothing else wrong with the lappy,if all working correctly then i would say its either the invertor or the backlight lamp.

Sponsored Links
Back