Samsung suround sound problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I recently purchased a second hand Samsung suround sound system. Followed instructions for set up, used the test feature that plays a sound from each speaker and they all work. But when I play a dvd it only splay from the front left and front right speakers.
The enter, and both back speakers don't have sound. What have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for such a quick response. The speakers are connected to the dvd player via their. Corresponding cables (made sure each one connected in right place). The dvd is then connected to the tv via hdmi into hdmi3

Which DVD player is it, and which Samsung surround system. I assume that the DVD has a 5.1 sound track rather than just stereo. Have you checked the output setting on the DVD player.

Sponsored Links
It's a Samsung ht tz222. The dvd is built into the sound system.
From what I've worked out so far, some parts like audio commentary and additional features don't have 5.1 the main discs seem to work fine.
In the manual it says you can make the surround sound play through all the speakers even without 5.1 by pressing the mode / pl button. But there isn't one, even know the manual shows there is.

You wouldn't want a stereo disc playing though all the speakers, as it'd just be a confusing mass of sound.

Check the setup, and try a few more DVDs

The issue is simple to solve.

You have an all-in-one head unit which incorporates the amps in the same box as the disc player, so there's no need to worry about any player-to-amp connections as that's all taken care of internally.

What you need to do now is have a quick look in the user manual about changing the surround mode. This is done with a button on the remote. One mode will do pure stereo playback (front L&R + Sub), the other modes will fire up the centre and rears too. You'll have a films/TV mode that does a pseudo-surround effect from stereo TV signals, then there'll be an all-channel stereo mode which gives sound equally from all speakers.

Any DVDS you play with Dolby Digital 5.1 (and possibly DTS) should be recognised automatically and played in full discrete surround. These will give the best surround effect.

The manual shows the remote and shows a mode button, but the remote has a few different buttons and mode is not there,

So you've probably got a cheap replacement remote as the original was lost or damaged by the first owner. It operates some functions, but not all. Crucially it doesn't give access to the surround mode control.

The answer then is to find either a genuine remote or a copy replacement that has all the keys.

With the exception of two buttons, all other buttons are identical to the diagram in the book. Unless there's a deviation in their rwmotes

Some smartphones can emulate remote controls. My Galaxy does, you have to tell it make and model of your device. I set it up it when I first bought the phone, as part of the personalisation setup, it works, but I've never needed to use it.

I just had a look, the app seems to be called "Peel remote"

I've only got the TVs on mine, but it has submenus for adding "Home Theatre," dvd player, air con, camera, all sorts of stuff. If not ready coded, it says it will connect to the net to look up the commands for other brands or models.

p.s.
does your device have any buttons on the box, maybe under a flap? My AV does. But you tend to set your preferred options once, then change them approximately never. I have mine set to 5.1 and it does that even for the (quite rare) old CD sources with only two channels and no coded surround. But most TV has 5.1 and so do DVDs and CDs.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back