Samsung TV wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,we have just come back from a week away to find our TV wont switch on naturally the kids think this is a major tragedy as we have already been camping for a week with no TV,now this.
I have tried all the usual checks,fuse,new plug etc,the TV is a Samsung flat screen,not plasma,not LCD,not digital,just a basic old school tube CRT? type.
I have removed the back,as i can hear a clicking noise,with the power on,it seems to be coming from a unit,which looks to me like a small motorcycle ignition coil mounted on one of the PCBs.It has a couple of small cables attached to it,also a large one which looks like an ignition lead,that is attached to the top of the tube.
Any experts have an idea whats wrong with it? bearing in mind the TV is a few years old now,and not worth much,is it worth repairing? how much is the "ignition coil" likely to cost to have repaired/replaced.
TIA

Sponsored Links
Given that s/h CRT TVs fetch so very little - mostly around £50 - and that any repair to an old set is going to cost at least twice that with parts and labour - then it might be most cost effective to bin the old set and buy a s/h TV as a replacement.

That was basically what i was thinking,used TVs are cheap as on eblag,think i might go that route,it would be nice to have a flat HD LCD and all that,but im a bit skint at the mo,a used one would do until ive got some cash.

I did exactly as I described above when a tube fault killed my 32" Philips CRT about 12 months ago. I replaced it with an equivalent Philips set for about £40. Bearing in mind that the TV originally sold for in excess of £1200, then a s/h replacement was incredible value for money.

New flat panel TVs - particularly LCDs - are often such a disappointment in terms of picture quality compared to the CRTs they replace. It feels a bit like The Emperor's New Clothes.
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
I also bought an old CRT from e-bay, with a nice stand, surround, good brand (cant remember what it is im in the loft!!) cost me £30.

not impressed with most LCD offerings atm, at least not those in my budget, I still have one CRT monitor on my pc because of the better pic.

Hi all,we have just come back from a week away to find our TV wont switch on naturally the kids think this is a major tragedy as we have already been camping for a week with no TV,now this.
I have tried all the usual checks,fuse,new plug etc,the TV is a Samsung flat screen,not plasma,not LCD,not digital,just a basic old school tube CRT? type.
I have removed the back,as i can hear a clicking noise,with the power on,it seems to be coming from a unit,which looks to me like a small motorcycle ignition coil mounted on one of the PCBs.It has a couple of small cables attached to it,also a large one which looks like an ignition lead,that is attached to the top of the tube.
Any experts have an idea whats wrong with it? bearing in mind the TV is a few years old now,and not worth much,is it worth repairing? how much is the "ignition coil" likely to cost to have repaired/replaced.
TIA
What you describe is the Line output transformer...32KV of pure energy!

As you have been away for a week, then the fault would be in the secondardy stage of the PSU, ie a capacitor. As the main PSU seems to be working?

Run a hairdryer over the capacitors in the second stage of the PSU, to heat them up, and the TV should start...then you have identified the culprit.

Had the same problem with my 40" Samsung LCD replaced 4 capacitors 80 pence each from Maplins works perfectly. Theres a video on you tube giving step by step instructions for Samsung tv's must be a common problem with them.

Oh sorry I stand corrected, not a CRT, but a flatscreen; LCD's have a similar principal to a florescent tube setup, they have a starter, and a flo tube down each side of the screen. If you turn the brightness up, and you can see a picture, then the invertor is still working, but if nothing, then the flo tubes have failed.

I have jumped a saw, and cut into my thumb, by accident, I have cracked my head, and blood appeared, but grabbing hold of a perfectly good flo tube, it shattered in my hand, and caused me to bleed for hours.....and the plaster was replaced, and bled for hours again...is it the phosphor inside the tube that prevented healing? Have a cut an inch wide that heals, and another cut that is like a papercut, that won't stop bleeding?

Often a shorted flo tube, causes the invertor to short out also, so both might be required to replace, it's a case of chicken and egg..but replacing capacitors, is a dodgy business...they still may be charged, with upto 600V DC, and when one of those gets hold of you...as it's DC, you are stuck to it, and get a good whack, whereas AC, throws you off..so be careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back