Samsung Washing machine with noisy spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a Samsung WW90J5456FC/EU W/M which is now about 4.5 years old.
We used to have it running over night in a utility room a few metres away and only separated by a door from our bedroom. Recently the final spin seems to have got so noisy that it regularly wakes us up and we cannot run it at night any more. The machine does not move or get unbalanced by the spin and it will finish the cycle as normal.

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung washing machines and can give advice?

Sponsored Links
Hello, Im no expert! But speaking from experience, having recently thrown out our Beko. It sounds like the bearings on the drum are on their way out / gone. Only more noticeable on a spin cycle. We couldnt even talk in our kitchen when it was on a spin! Alot of manufacturers use sealed drums nowadays, making it extremly hard to replace the bearings. Can you describe the noise? Is it like a ratlling, metal clanking type of noise?

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung washing machines and can give advice?

Try revolving the drum, by hand - does it make a noise/sound gritty? If so, it's the drum bearings failing. Older machine drums were cheaply replaceable, more modern ones, you have to buy and replace the complete drum, with new, at much greater cost. Bearings can be had for £20, entire drum around £120 - £150.

Thank you for the replies.
Turning the drum by hand is easy without any metallic or crunching noise. It certainly does not sound or feel like a bearing problem.
When the machine spins it is more like a roaring noise. I took a short video when we first noticed it becoming noisy.
This is a link to dropbox as I cannot attach a MP4 in DIY not.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just a feedback.
I changed the dampers below the drum, which were leaking slightly and the drum bearings which had water ingress and the inner one was already pretty destroyed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back