Sand and Cement Slurry as flooring compound?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm currently doing a makeover on my garage and the old concrete floor is a bit rough on the surface, so it needs smoothing over before I lay some vinyl over it.

I was going to buy some flooring compound, but I've got a few bags of sand and cement lying around which will otherwise go to waste. I was wondering if anyone knows am I able to mix a strong sand/cement slurry to achieve the same thing, or is it likely to just break up quickly afterwards?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert with this but I have done some small repairs in my own garage. I tend to throw in some gravel with the mix and it helps to strengthen it.

Just sand and cement would likely crack over time.

An SBR building sand/cement slurry would work. Sharp sand might be a bit rough to have vinyl on top. You would have to mix it in small batches and get it down quick - it goes off in 15 minutes.

Sponsored Links
see dazlight's posts in flooring ref garage floors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back