Sand & Cement or MR Plasterboard for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently in the middle of installing a new suite in our bathroom and have recently removed all of the old plaster from our bathroom walls using an SDS drill and tile-removing chisel bit. Now that we're back to brick/thermal blocks, and we've got the option to start from scratch, I'm looking for advice on the best way to prepare the walls for tiling :)

So, here's what I can tell you about the room - it's 1.7m x 2.2m, quite small, so we don't really have enough room for battens. We are going to put a shower in above one end of the bath. We will be tiling all four walls from floor to ceiling. Three of the walls are external (double skin), and there is a roof directly above too so can get rather cold in there in winter. We will be using 60cm x 30cm porcelain tiles (27kg per square meter including adhesive).

I don't really like the idea of using cement boards with D+D, because the manufacturers don't seem to recommend it, so I'm considering one of these two options:
1. Pva bricks, then dot & dab MR plasterboard then tank around shower-end of the bath.
2. Sand and cement render, then tank around shower-end of the bath.

I'm in two minds at the moment. I like the idea of having a nice solid S+C render, but then on the other hand I'm also thinking that if we went with MR plasterboard it may offer better insulation properties. Can anyone recommend one way or the other?

Are both options perfectly viable or should we be considering something else?

Any advice would be massively appreciated :)

Here's a pic of the walls as they are currently:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back