Sand run off under artificial lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large patch of artificial grass at the back of my house. One side of it is contained by some thick wood beams due to the fact that the other side of it slopes away in to next doors garden. During the wet weather we’ve been having I’ve noticed that the top layer of sand appears to be being washed away between the cracks in the hardcore below and presumably under the wood beams and down the slope.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this? Could i add something to the slopes side of the beams to stop the water running underneath them?

I’ve contacted the installer who put the grass down but would like some other opinions so I have a better idea what to say to them.

Photo%2017-07-2020%2C%2016%2006%2008.jpg

Sponsored Links
How deep is the hardcore, was type 1 and finished with a whacker? Also there doesn't look to be much depth to the sand, how much was put down and was this finished with a whacker? Is your grass level or running on a slope?

Many thanks for the reply. The garden originally had a very slight slope towards the area where the problems are. Next doors garden is probably just less than a foot below ours and departed by a fence which I suppose acting as a retainer for the original soil. I suspect the new boards used to contain the hardcore have gaps under them which is causing the movements. I presume it’s type 1 although couldn’t say for sure. It’s quite deep at that side of the garden and was whacked down and the new artificial grass is now all level.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the right stuff going in. I recently completed mine which ran out by over 300mm up to 1 corner. Had over 40t of soil removed so we could stone and level it. However I used sleepers to retain my whole garden, which has made it pretty solid! As you say, maybe the retaining boards have too much movement as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back