Sander: Mirka Deros - Leaving Terrible swirlmarks/pigtails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got the Mirka deros 650,
Bought the unit used about a year ago, the guy said it still had some warranty, although i'm not sure for how long and I don't have any papers to confirm when it was bought either..probably it's over now anyways. And I'm pretty much sure that was the reason why the guy sold it because he probably knew it will soon start to get worse.

at first when I got it, it was superb, nice sander, gave such a great finish and worked just so sweet ,but... it left more swirlmarks than my other cheapo sander.. time went and the more and more I used it the worse it got, at the moment whatever I sand with it is instantly ridded with just insane amounts of swirlmarks/pigtails, whatever the material timber/concrete/metal/plasterboard everywhere it leaves nasty swirlmarks in huge quanitities, at first I tried swapping for different sanding papers, tried the abranets as well, but that was just waste of time as there's something wrong with my unit and it's just getting worse..
at the moment I still do 95% of my sanding with it, but in finishing stages I have to use hand or get out my cheapo old sander to get a finish that isn't messed up with marks.

was wondering maybe anyone knows what could be wrong with my unit and is it fixable? the machine wasn't exactly cheap even when used so binning it and buying a new one isn't really an option for me.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you working down through the grits and not skipping?
I have a festool rotex and can get a superb finish with 240 grit in rotex mode straight of the planer.

Are you working down through the grits and not skipping?
I have a festool rotex and can get a superb finish with 240 grit in rotex mode straight of the planer.
Yes Sir.
The thing is I have had 4 different sanders over the years ( much much much cheaper ones I must say) , none have had this problem to this extent.
and the ''problem'' is getting more severe with time with this mirka so I'm fairly sure that it has something to do with the machine not my technique.

I did looked at the festool as well when buying this, but the mirka won hands down in more or less every way, except for reliability so it seems...

Sponsored Links
Not that I know much about these sanders but it sounds to me like the drive shaft to the sanding plate is not sitting true - and is getting less straight as time goes on so my first guess would be something like a bearing or bushing that's worn? One of the most common reasons for swirl marks is inadequate dust extraction causing removed material to 'congeal' on the paper and carve gouges out of the material you're sanding but presumably you would have already checked for this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back