What kind of sander is best for this job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone first post here so be gentle with me please. :mrgreen:

I'm far from a DIY expert but i do need to redecorate my bathroom and hallway (both small as it's a 1 bed flat), the bathroom was done about a year ago but to be honest it's cr*p and my hallway has been stripped but the plasterboard is a right old mess so will need to fill and sand down to give a decent finish before i do any painting.

Now my question is do i get a normal finishing sander which i'm sure would take years to get down to a decent finish or should i go for a belt sander and maybe use finer paper, or do i have to use both?

I'm no pro and will only want sander for this job i'm willing to spend up to £100 and something that collects dust would be cool but from my understanding most units that offer this do a rubbish job, as i say far from an expert, if you need any more info from me just ask.

All1

Sponsored Links
You could always consider a re-skim, but if you want to fill, then a normal orbital sander is probably best.....the belt ones are a bit savage and also heavy - especially when used on a wall!
All types have dust bag or vacuum connection facilities.
John :)

Once you refill always use a decent straight edge covering what ever area you have filled.
Then finish it well with a quality trowel.

A hand block is all you need after that.
A belt sander would be a disaster.

OK thanks for the replies John & Norcon reskining myself is out the question my skills don't go that far, would a belt sander with finer paper be an option, the reason i'm thinking of going down belt route is just time saving, if i buy a normal orbital/finishing it will take a huge amount of time (IMO but i'm no expert i agree) or do you still think orbital/finishing sander is my best route maybe starting off with more aggressive paper?

Sorry for the basis questions but my knowledge is that basic I'm afraid.

All1

Sponsored Links
I finished my living room and I did use an orbital sander for the final run with about 320 grit.

But I did the bulk with a professional sanding block. Not that a lot of sanding was needed.

The secret to this is in the levelling and that's easy when you use a quality straight edge.
I would consider a belt sander with any form of grit a disaster.
Not unless it was a festool with the level guide fitted and only for the final run.

Your thinking about this the wrong way. If your gonna fill the wall with big dollops of fillers and then expect an electric sander to leave it level then your heading for disaster.

You can get sanding paper which is a gauze and ideal for sanding walls as it does not clog. Tool station sell it, not sure about screwfix. It can come with sanding block and vacuum connector

For the wall, consider using ready mixed plasterboard joint compound. Spread it on with a 300mm stainless steel spreader, and then smooth it off with the above

A bit dusty, but nice and easy, and a nice smooth finish

Otherwise, a random orbit sander with vacuum hose connector.

OK given most of the advice is to stay away from a belt sander then i'll do that and just a normal finishing sander, thanks everyone for your advice.

All1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back