Sanders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spent 3 days filling in god know how many holes in my living room walls! However, now is the time to sand down the polyfilla and sandpaper or a sandpaper block is a bit too much like hard work for lil old me!

As i'm only sanding small areas at a time can anyone suggest a suitable sander i could use?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Use a scraper.

Also, if, when applying it, you use a broad filling knife (much more flexible than the similarly-shaped scraper) you should be able to press it very thinly over the hole and leave very little to smooth off later.

Cheapy £6-8 detail sander with supplied sandpapers from your local DIY super store.

you use a broad filling knife (much more flexible than the similarly-shaped scraper)

Yea, I'm not sure if the offer is in Wilko nationwide, but there is an offer on where you can buy 3 filling knives for £2.99 :). I was very annoyed after seeing this offer as it was not so long ago that I bought myself a filling knife at £1.30. Scrapers aren't really the ideal thing, but would still work :D. I think the difference is which JohnD already stated is that the filling knives are more flexible and also they tend to have a pointed edge for when smoothing in against tight edges and corners.

Sponsored Links
i'd get a palm sander as they are alot lighter if you need to be holding above your head on walls. A cheap one is fine as it's a pretty basic thing and unless you are going to be using it alot then you can probably get away with a 15 quid one. Detail sanders have really small sanding areas and ideally you want a large one to get the filler as smooth as poss. A half sheet sander would be better but try holding that above your head for any length of time.

I agree though, the secret that our decorators use is to fill with those really flexible metal blade things so that there is almost no sanding to do.

B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back