Sanding paint from aluminium panels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have a heap of aluminium panels (apologies, they are from a 1950's English Rose kitchen I am installing, not a car - but I thought this might be a good place to get an answer...) that have the original paint + a layer (or two) of gloss paint on them. I am trying to take them back to the bare metal so I can repaint them their original colour.

I have ruled out paint strippers as being too expensive and too likely to damage the (very reactive) metal.

I have just spent the whole morning rubbing down one small panel by hand. It worked very well, but just took far too long for the number of panels I have to do.

Is there some kind of stripping attachment for the drill that you could recommend me?

Or can anyone think of a better way? Someone suggested dipping the panels but there is the risk that that would damage the metal just as strippers would.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Loads of things available, but i would have them dipped in all honesty. Very unlikely to damage the ali.

If you want to go the DIY route, then a flap disc in a drill will do it, or a grinder with sanding disc on it.

The old paint is probably full of lead, so a mask could be a good idea :LOL:

It's quite common to use Nitromors for paint stripping aircraft aluminium,I have never seen any reaction from the metal.Dipping however is the easiest.

Sponsored Links
Dippers often use caustic strippers which is a disaster with aluminium.

Nitromorse won't harm them, but I'd try a belt sander to see what happens.

Back