Sanding & Planing Incised Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I took delivery of a bunch of pine sleepers from Travis Perkins to use for my garden beds. The oak option was naturally very expensive at the moment and they also told me that their recent batches have been terrible, so I went with pine. However they're very rough and not as straight as I'd like. They're incised with the green tanilin and they've already mellowed and browned off quite a bit sitting in the sun. But I've heard a couple of people say I shoudn't sand/plane that kind of timber and I'm wondering why and how true that is. Perhaps they think it will remove the protection, but if it's incised it goes pretty much to the center right? And if they're thinking it's because it will look patchy surely that will mellow over time? Curious to hear people's thoughts on this one!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It won't be a problem. Timber treatment is not a surface coating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back