Sanding wooden floors - Is commercial lacquer needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oak flooring in our kitchen and hall needs to be sanded and lacquered. I would love to do it ourselves but with 2 young children in the house and very limited DIY skills I think we may regret it.

One question I have is should we upgrade to commercial lacquer ,is worth it. The flooring guy reckoned it would give us several years extra. We have 2 young kids for context.

Any thoughts on the quote below welcome, another firm quoted the same excluding the commercial lacquer.

Quote below is for 16.8mtr sq
Professional 98% dust free sanding of oak flooring with 3 coats of a leading brand domestic lacquer (junkers strong) applied within this price
£36 per meter

supply of stain
£6.50 per meter

lacquer upgrade to HP commercial
£10 per meter

Total £882

Sponsored Links
Strong is about £52+vat for 5 litres

commercial is about £88+vat for 5 litres

5 litres should cover about 40 to 50 sq metres per coat.

I don’t know if the commercial 2 pack grade takes longer to do, but if not the extra over price seems a tad dear.

but I’m not criticising his pricing, you should wait for a pro to answer your query.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back