Sandstone bay window - how to repair?

Remove the felt. Cut slot with grinder. Replace felt with lead sheet. Repair cracked sandstone with mortar mix with SBR added to waterproof.

Mornings work. Job done. Stop waffling the lot of ya. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
First of all thank you to all the posters. Job finished today - done by roofer. :D He removed the old flashing around the stone and brickwork, cut a chase and inserted lead. Finished off by sealing joint with silicone. The roof deck which was mineral felt was then painted with a fibre glass resin solution, he also painted this solution over the lead apron and up the inside of the battlements. He was going to fit 4 dowels into the loose battlements, but in the end only fitted one as the sandstone started to disintegrate during drilling :( (it was actually a mix of paint layers, torch on mineral felt, polyfilla and empty space - obviously a previous botched repair). I didn't mention it previously because I forgot but the crack across the top of the battlement actually continues vertically for about 15cm down the front, turns 90° and continues horizontally for about a metre along the front of the battlements before turning 90° again and continuing vertically up to the corner battlement on the other side. I can push it at the front and the whole lot moves! :eek::eek::eek: Don't know if the roofer is aware. It occurred to me that more dowels could be inserted along the length of the battlements to fix them in place and the crack can be filled and painted. What do you think? If this is not clear, I'll take another photo tomorrow.

Another pic would help.

Thanks. Here are several in my DIYnot album (hope this works):

25z47qt.jpg

2ljrxh2.jpg

2vbsvpk.jpg

Sponsored Links
It should have been repaired before your guy done the roof!

Anyway lime mortar should be used to do the repairs have a look Here.

Rake out the holes/joints and apply the lime mortar, let it take up then give it a smooth over with a sponge.

Thanks for the reply. I feel quite cross now! Not sure who to be cross with though? :mad: As you can see from the front elevation, the decorative molding has never been painted because it was it a replacement. The old one which was a semi-circular bodge, done entirely with the wrong mortar spalled and then fell off in the cold weather we had last year. So we tried to get quotes to replace it from builders and painter and decorators but no one would touch it. Eventually I found out about a local guy who does fibrous plasterwork and sand/cement moldings (plasterwork? I think lime=correct material to use with sandstone=good :D ), who replaced it with a pre-cast section. I was chuffed. Only problem is that I think he has made the joins up using standard (rock hard) cement mortar. I'm aware that lime mortar should be used with sandstone because I did a lot of research before getting the quotes. I guess I hoped/assumed the "professionals would know what they're doing and didn't feel it was my place to question

For the actual roofing part, I got four quotes and I mentioned that the one battlement was lose. Ultimately we went with the roofer who said he'd use dowels to fix the battlement. Again I guess I assumed he would make good the cracked sandstone, but to be fair it wasn't itemised on his quote. However, it did say he was going to use 4 dowels.

This being the case can I insist that he fixes the front row of battlements with dowels? (What do you think of this method btw) We have got him coming back to fix some cowals on our chimney and to do some masticing around the windows

You may ask why I didn't consult stonemasons. I did consider this but was under the impression that they cost lots £££ (can't remember where I got the idea from) and like I said I thought it was something the roofer could do.

I guess there's an important lesson in here somewhere, not quite sure what yet? :rolleyes: It makes me cross because I always go out of my way to use vetted tradespeople (checkatrade, buy with confidence, etc.) and I always get at least three quotes. Grrr! Sorry about the rant, just thought I'd get it off my chest

Oh yes, just remembered. Now I know where to get lime mortar from :rolleyes: , any thoughts on this http://www.toupretpro.co.uk/products/product_view.php?pid=5. It was recommended to me by a carpenter a couple of roads away (same style of house), who has meticulously rebuilt/restored the front of his house (new bay window, new brickwork, caste iron railings, etc. - he seemed like a complete perfectionist). I went to the local 'Brewers', and it's also what they recommended. I've been using it as filler on the bay window. Is it ok to use this instead, I know it's not lime mortar? Probably a bit late to ask now but it would put my mind at rest? :confused:

David

P.S. You never did confirm if you are roofer? :p

How much were the quotes? Did you go for the cheapest

How much were the quotes? Did you go for the cheapest

The quotes were:

• £235
    £310
    £540

We went for the middle quote. The most expensive was to install a 3 layer system. None itemised the cracked mortar. What do you think of the filler I posted in my last post?

I dont think its suitable for sandstone repairs.

Use lime mortar in my link.

So the roofer basically acropol'd the roof :eek:

3 layer felt option would have been better imo, and as Al said, battlements should have been secured prior to re-roofing.

Cant understand why he slabbered acrypol all over the sandstone and new lead.

If you line up the before and after pics in two different windows, he hasn't even removed the felt!

Quite shocking, got any pics to prove he even fitted lead flashings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back