Sandstone pier and gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, replacing copes on a job after we removed the roughcast and existing copes the weight of the iron gate has pulled the top piece of stone loose.

I was thinking of drilling through the loose piece of stone and straight into the wall placing rebar in and epoxying back into place and bedding the loose piece of stone back down on mortar.

can anyone tell me if they have a better idea or can see any obvious flaws in my plan?

attached is a photo ( no the best )

Attachments

• CA32EB79-9AF2-4481-81C6-6B91EAB5193C.png
    CA32EB79-9AF2-4481-81C6-6B91EAB5193C.png
    2 MB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
more pics from different angles please. esp of the gate fixings.

1. typically, copings run with the length of a wall not across it - look at the copings on the next house wall.
2. copings are drip throated and project about 40mm.
3. best to remove all the render - prepping the surfaces, and then re-rendering.
4. then cap the wall with copings.
5. the render should stop about 50mm from ground level.

Cheers bob

1. I know how copes are meant to go I done the garden next door aswel (different cope)

2. Copes are overly large because as the wall progresses it changes size to 450mm

3. I’m no doing the render so no overly fussed about what the roughcaster does when I’m gone.

4. I’ll get you some more photos when I’m back at the job I know it’s no the best.

5. Any thoughts on my original question which was do you think rebar and epoxy will be strong enough to hold the gate??

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back