Saniflo - will it pump horizontally?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m contemplating installing a Saniflo (Sanislim) in the downstairs shower room. I’ve had a look at their web site and the installation video instructions and read the appropriate pdf brochure.

The waste will need to be pumped horizontally and has to go only a few feet to the ‘drain’ which runs away eventually into the septic tank. I put ‘drain’ in quotes because it isn’t a pipe, just an open, concrete-lined channel, about 4” wide and the bottom of it is around 4” below ground. It’s covered by a manhole cover, which when lifted exposes this channel.

The ground level is the same (or no lower than a couple of inches) as the floor level indoors. The previous owners of the property built up the height of the shower room floor presumably to create enough fall for the drains. We need to level this floor as the ceiling height is low, hence the need to pump waste horizontally.

The main soil stack is located away from the shower room, serving an upstairs bathroom and although it’s only about 8 feet away from the shower room toilet, has a staircase and hallway in between.

So, my question is, given that, looking at the Sanislim brochure, it seems that waste must exit the unit with a rise on the pipe, will it pump horizontally, as the lowered floor will be the same level as the outside drain channel? I'm assuming that because of this needed rise from the unit, it won't be possible to channel across the floor (under the stairs and hall floor) to the main soil stack and fit the exit pipe into it - am I correct?

Sponsored Links
IMO it ought to go up for a bit, so that when you go horizontal your actually on an incline so that "the stuff" does not sit in the horizontal bit when it turns off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back