Sanity check this quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Looking to have some work done in the garden.

Basically a large decking area with a 6 x 3 pergola with a flat roof.

Does this sound reasonable? Any thoughts?

Finding people to do this job is proving difficult. I'm in the South East btw.

The pergola is 6 x 3 and the decking in total is that amount 6 by 3 plus a further 1 by 5.

Quote to build pergola and main decking area.

-supply all timber and fixings to build the decking area and a 6m x 3m pergola.

-dig post holes for support posts and postcrete into position.

-build a 5x2 sub frame to support decking boards, frame to be timberlocked to the posts.

-weed membrane to be laid underneath to help control weed growth.

-dig post holes for smooth post that will form the support for the pergola, postcrete into position.

-build a 6x2 flat roof with 18mm ply.

-roofer to supply and install a torch on, 2-layer mineral felt roof.

-32mm decking boards to be screwed down to the sub frame.

-clean up.

Total = £3960.42

Sponsored Links
Inc or ex VAT? Sounds about right to me. Work on £400- £500/day for man + labourer + materials

good point about VAT. The quote doesn't mention it so I assuming without VAT but I'd obviously confirm this.

If the builder is VAT registered, and thus will charge VAT then he must have his reg number on the quote. Otherwise, no VAT.

That is more of a schedule than a specification - what type of timber, what type of ply, what thickness of membrane, how deep the post holes etc?

If he rocks up with some CLS, shuttering ply and polythene, then you've agreed it.

Sponsored Links
cheers Woody. Yeah I'm going to ask him the spec of everything that formed the quote.

I would want a drawing of the subframe so you know how far apart the joists will be and how many posts into the ground.

thats not terrible,

i've just purchased the parts for mine, which is 6.5m x 3m and the cost of wood and screws etc is £1000.

i want to put a plastic roof using the quality glazing bars and perspex route to still allow light into the house (its being built against the wall) and the roof adds and £750.

my base is being built on a pre-existing patio, and i'm using 4x2 for the frame, and using some ground screws at the edge of the patio to hold the decking down, and the posts for the pergola will be toothed into the decking.

for you, you have labour on top, so depends on how many guys is going to be working on it and for how long, i'm guessing 2x guys and a few days maybe a week.

A forum can only take you so far Woody. I lack basic DIY skills :LOL:
We need to start on building up your confidence, and then we'll progress to motivation. After three weeks we'll let you loose with a pencil, square and a saw. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back