Sash window advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i need some advice on windows. We have recently moved in to a new house where the original timber wooden windows have been removed and replaced with very cold and ugly aluminium windows.

We are therefore going to put the original timber sash back in. I have got it down to two quotes but am finding the final decision difficult.

Company one has said they can build windows argon filled with a 24mm width but company two has said that they can only install 16mm units due to the shape of our bays. Other points to consider are that company one are FENSA and also insure their 10 year guarantee. Company two are a local firm who have great Checkatrade reviews and are coming in about £6k cheaper.

I am worried that going with the 24mm units will make the windows look clunky and ugly.

I would appreciate some advice as I have never done any building work before and I am worried I am going to make a mistake.

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

In my opinion 24mm units are fine for uPVC but look C**p in wooden sashes.

I made sashes for 4 windows last year and fitted 4/8/4 argon filled units with the unit fitted from inside,so you don't have any putty to worry about...The outside of the sashes had a beveled edge so it recreated the putty line look but without all the hassle of putty itself...The putty attacks sealed units and can in some cases greatly reduce the live of the units.

Make sure when sealed units are fitted in wooden windows that they go on a packer,so the glass is not sat directly on the wood...or they will rot from the inside out and you will be replacing them again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back