Satan in The Temple

C

calorific

The Temple of Nothingness in fact. Or as it's more commonly known - the Trafford Centre.

What devilish new trick is this that seems to be employed by purveyors of smelly chemicals that females desire ownership of? Once upon a time you could walk into a department store and look at such products in cabinets or on shelves, with the prices being clearly displayed alongside or on the boxes. Current practice now appears to be that no such information is to be provided visibly and the intent is clearly that you have to talk to a sales rep (whose skin is hidden beneath such a layer of oils and powders and glosses that, if a builder plastered and decorated your walls in such fashion you would not be willing to pay and be happy for him to chase your through the courts safe in the knowledge that your claim of "substandard workmanship" would be upheld).

This thus forces an opportunity of hard selling to take place, in part because it's harder to make out that you're not a cheapskate to someone who's trying to sell you something ridiculously priced.

I met my son and his friend nearby whilst licking my wounds over a cup of coffee, and handed him my credit card, explaining that I physically couldn't bring myself go through the ordeal and subsequent expenditure. I have asked him to go and spend whatever his conscience felt appropriate and I await his return with baited breath :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Had a similar experience in a well known department store in Oxford Street. We just wanted to get to the escalator so that we could get up onto the third floor but getting there was like running the gauntlet. A line of sales people either side of the aisle trying to spray perfume on us. 'Would you like to try this sir?' 'Would you like to try that sir?'

'No, F**k off'.

And yet strangely if you go in there with your ar$e hanging out and stinking to high heaven they leave you alone. Works for me :oops:

Sponsored Links
I had this about 10 years ago on a trip to new york,went into the famous macys store and the place was flooded with sales assistants just waiting for you to browse/pick up a product and they pounced on you,very aggresive selling..I felt like a gazelle going for a drink in a croc infested lake...we could not wait to get out of there, did not know it had started in this country though and any bit of desire I had to go shopping has now gone . :D

My favourite hate (if there's such a thing) is sales assistants/shopkeepers who pounce as soon as you even look at an item. If I'm browsing in a shop, I like to be left in peace. I don't need a pushy assistant asking "Can I help you sir?"
Same when we go out for a meal in a restaurant. Why can't waiters and waitresses just leave us alone to enjoy the meal? Instead of hovering around the table asking "Is everything alright?" When you say "Yes ", they inevitably reply "Ok,,, enjoy your meal." Only to return 5 minutes later to ask the same bloody question. :cry: :cry:

Same when we go out for a meal in a restaurant. Why can't waiters and waitresses just leave us alone to enjoy the meal? Instead of hovering around the table asking "Is everything alright?" When you say "Yes ", they inevitably reply "Ok,,, enjoy your meal." Only to return 5 minutes later to ask the same bloody question. :cry: :cry:

Standard question to make sure you dont eat the whole meal then claim it was **** and want it for free.

calorific said:
-- purveyors of smelly chemicals that females desire ownership of --

Don't get me started -- too late! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Even in the absence of any other clues, you can always tell when Christmas is coming by the sudden increase in rubbish adverts for those smelly chemicals. My top prize this year goes to something I don't remember (so not much of an advert then :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) but if you want a crazed lunatic to slam you up against a wall and rip your expensive jewelry from your neck then you should use it - apparently!

Now I might be in a majority of one here - so any support would be appreciated - but the only thing is want a woman to smell of is woman. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

These chemicals were of some actual use back in the day when daily showering didn't take place and clothes weren't cleaned frequently, and disguising pungent odours would make sense.

Indeed, a wild fact which a small number of you may not be aware of is the use of firescreens (which dissipated the heat) to prevent wax based makeup from melting and thus ruining the painted/decorated/made-up face.

However, these chanel type chemicals are no longer of any requirement and it is sad how so many people are duped.

Now if purfumes were made with smells attractive to 99% of the male population then that would be a different story...

hot oil and steam,
turpentine,
creosote,
beer,
and so on :D

calorific said:
-- a wild fact which a small number of you may not be aware of is the use of firescreens (which dissipated the heat) to prevent wax based makeup from melting and thus ruining the painted/decorated/made-up face

You can count me among that small number because I always thought that their only function was to prevent sparks from flying out onto the carpet. You learn something new every day. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Now here's a thought. If strong-smelling perfume was invented to hide body odour (which is a reasonable hypothesis), was heavy make-up invented to hide warts, boils, ringworm, and the scars left by the crazed lunatic who went around slamming women against the wall and ripping their necklaces off? :?: :?: :?:

ladylola said:
Now if purfumes were made with smells attractive to 99% of the male population then that would be a different story...

hot oil and steam,
turpentine,
creosote,
beer,
and so on

I'm not sure about the first three but I quite like the smell of beer. Some other smells I would consider acceptable, if not quite desirable, on a woman are, in no particular order, leather, tomato leaves and seaweed. Sadly, apart from the beer, none of these appear to come in bottles. :( :( :(

PS: I broke the golden rule of garlic recently when I ate several whole roasted cloves without knowing what they were - but she was good enough to not tell me until the next day. That's love for you. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back