Satellite cable for Freeview

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by seasickstevie, 17 Apr 2014.

1. seasickstevie

seasickstevie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I want to put in a temporary TV lead from terrestrial aerial for my son in a bedsit.
    As I happen to have a good length of Satellite (shotgun) coax, I'm assuming I could use that. Is all TV coax, both satellite & terrestrial the same?

2. Lucid

Lucid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All coax isn't the same. There's different qualities which means either more or less signal at the end of a run. There's more differences than that but you're more interested in finding out of the twin shotgun can be used for a TV aerial. The answer is yes.

Stuff designated for satellite use can be used for TV. That's just a step down. The thin shotgun stuff should be fine for runs up to 10 or 15 metres for TV use.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. plugwash

plugwash

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Though i've found it's difficult to reliablly terminate thin coax on TV aerial plugs.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sam Gangee

Sam Gangee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Actually, it's usually good for 20m when carrying LNB signals and 40m for UHF TV signals - dependent on the strength of the signal, of course.

Choose appropriate plugs or else use a sleeve.
    See
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/TEL4132.htm
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tecTEL39A.htm

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links