Coax join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys just wanted a little advice.

A friend of mine has sky and wished to move the tv to the other end of the lounge, and so the cable will not reach, so my question is can i join an extra length of coax, like you can with a aerial, or is it diff for Satellite ?

ie: will it damage the signal etc ? or do i have to run new coax from the Lnb to the tv ??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you not actually bother to read the page Sam Gangee linked to? Both versions are covered. Just choose what's appropriate for your cable - and its 7mm in case you're still confused.

Sponsored Links
I would definitely recommend using double-screened coaxial cable and NOT "aerial cable", which is seldom suitable for anything nowadays.

ok well i joined the cables as shown in the link, and then had to leave for work, before my friend could move the tv to the other end of the house, all she had to do was screw the connectore onto the sky box.

well she rang me at work and said she was getting NO SIGNAl Message, so i told her to undo the join and reconnect the original cable back in and she said it works.

So before i go back to look at it , any suggestions on what it might be...

1. Braid touching the copper maybe ?? i cant think of any =thing else it might be.

Probably but make darn sure you don't touch any connections while the Digibox is connected to the power socket. If you short-circuit the tuner input, it could do damage inside. (It's supposed to be protected but I wouldn't risk it!)

thanks Sam, i did all that except for the grease as the cable is internal, oh and i nvr cut the core at 45 degree :oops: , nice tip, fought it was a bit hard to get it into the barrel connector. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back