Extending Sky coax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have Sky installed at one end of the room and wish to move TV to other end. To extend the coax can someone let me know what the coax type is and if just joining the extension piece is OK, ie either soldering or chock block? It's basic Sky we have, not Sky+.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need a length of decent satellite grade coax and some F connectors with a joining barrel. Most diy sheds or wilko's sell 2 F connectors with a barrel.
Then buy the required length of cable.

The only tools required are some wire cutters and a knife.
Instructions on fitting F Connectors here

Or have a look on ebay & you will find kits, ie cable & connectors

I went to Wilko's, bought a length of their satellite cable and f connectors (as mentioned above). I have Sky+HD and compared the signal strength before and after and it was exactly the same.

Sponsored Links
The Sky box signal meter isn't an accurate method for measuring signal level. Adding an inline connector introduces a 3dB drop in signal level. It doesn't sound like much but 6dB is a loss of half the signal level!!

At the end of the day though as long as there's enough signal for the box to work then you won't notice much of a difference.

IF your inline joint introduces that much loss then it's a pretty ****ty connection.

Of course any loss will be frequency dependent.

The important factor is Signal Quality, not strength/level. You can have a low strength but high quality and it will be fine. High strength and low quality and you will have picture problems.

Hi, the name of the cable is called CT100 and is a 75ohm Coaxial cable. You should be able to get this from Screwfix and you should also be able to get the F-Type connectors and Barrels from Screwfix as well.
Regards, Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back