Coaxial connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to take the TV ariel into my attic then split it 3 ways to a TV in the living room, kitchen and bedroom. I have seen a few splitters for sale but they all seem to have the f-type "sky" threaded connectors rather than the usual TV push pull coax ones (I don't know what their real name is). Can I fit either type of connector to a coax cable? What is a good type of coax cable to buy for my purpose.

Probably worth mentioning, in the living room I will be running sky too, I have bought a module faceplate that has 2 x sky outlets for sky+, 1 x TV and 1 x radio. I haven't got it yet and I'm sure it will come with instructions but what connectors is it likely to have for attaching the coax to the back of it? I.e. will it have 4 x female f-type on the back or would it have wire clamps etc?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The industry is moving away from the ordinary aerial plugs as used for connecting to a TV and over to the F type (satellite) plugs for distribution units. F plugs give an electrically superior connection. TV coax plug (called Belling Lee plugs) were never designed for the sort of signals we're putting through them now. If you have a choice, go for the gear with F connectors.

Cable; buy Webro WF100. Don't bother with anything else.

Your module plate connections will all be bare wire clamps.

I am intending to take the TV ariel into my attic then split it 3 ways to a TV in the living room, kitchen and bedroom. I have seen a few splitters for sale but they all seem to have the f-type "sky" threaded connectors rather than the usual TV push pull coax ones (I don't know what their real name is). Can I fit either type of connector to a coax cable? What is a good type of coax cable to buy for my purpose.

F type splitters are the best ones so use those. Use satellite grade cable which can take F connectors.

The correct way to fit Belling Lee connectors:

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

Don't use the other method which can let in interference.

Sponsored Links
So I'm not a professional? ;)

I've always found it "better" to shop around and find a selection of screw-on F plugs that fit a range of cables. Why a range? Because I'd often end up having to join, say, WF100 to an existing, short, buried-in-the-wall cable* that was perfectly OK but didn't match my selected plug for the WF100.

With a compression plug, it's tricky because I'm carrying only two types of matching tools and plugs - WF100 and WF65. With a crimp plug it's impossible. I never found a good combination of tool, die and plug. The darn things always fall off!

As far as the DIY man is concerned, he doesn't want the hassle; just buy the F plug that matches the cable. The only problem with this is that most shops tell you that "one size fits all". It doesn't take long to discover they are ... erm ... mistaken.

* With typically only 15mm protruding from the wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back