low power aerial signals when sky box in standby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a TV engineer for 39 years and have a perplexing problem at home I can't seem to resolve. I'm decorating the lounge and used to have a sky coax cable and aerial coax cable directly through the wall into the sky box and TV.(Philips 26PF7521D/10) No RF leads used. I've decided to fit a wall plate to tidy things up and have fitted an F connector and coax socket double type. The coax socket has isolation capacitors. I've now lost almost half of the aerial signal to the TV. If I disconnect the sky cable the signal reappears. Also if I switch the sky box on (Panasonic) from standby the signal reappears. I've completely isolated the two sockets on the plate by cutting the copper earth tracks and shorted out the capacitors so now I have direct connection between the cables and the equipment ie just as it was before except for the F plug and coax plug. I can't fathom out why I should be losing signal and why does it reappear when the sky box is switched on? Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Maybe because you are going between an RF signal, and a coax signal? thus losing signal? And back again? Losing bandwidth?

I've now replaced the sockets with a different make and everything works ok now. I cannot see any reason why the old sockets would cause a problem.

Sponsored Links
I would hazard a guess that your original sockets were TV/FM type with demux circuits in. Your second one which worked was just 2 sockets on one plate.

An earthing issue caused by the caps in the TV, the rather unreliable Philips, rather than the more efficient Pana sky box, but if the Panasonic box was kept in one of those closed TV cabinets and overheated, then either way. And the earthing was mainly done by the scart leads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back