Satinwood and raised grain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm getting a weird finish on my shelf using Dulux Trade Satinwood. I think it's raised grain?

It's hardwood, previously varnished. Here's what I did:

Stripped varnish with carbide blade
Sanded 40, 80 then 120
One coat of Dulux undercoat and primer
Sanded 120
One coat of Satinwood
One coat of Satinwood 18 hours later
Noticed this issue, so gave it another coat 18 hours later

12 hours later I'm still seeing this. Any clues?

1000015556.jpg
1000015557.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's not raised grain, it's paint checking.

Did you apply thick coats?

Are you using all water-based paints?

What was the temperature and humidity while drying?

Are you sure the wood is not veneered?

Second coat applied too soon.
That's not waterbased paint.

Recoat time ( not drying time) is 16h? I think it needed longer.
Leave it a week and then 320g sand and another coat might sort.

It's oil based. Says on the tin 16-24 hours. Although it's an unheated room as the radiator isn't connected so maybe I should have left it longer?

Sponsored Links
It's not raised grain, it's paint checking.

Did you apply thick coats?

Are you using all water-based paints?

What was the temperature and humidity while drying?

Are you sure the wood is not veneered?

Okay thank you.

First coat was thin, second and third fairly thick. It's oil based gloss but the primer was water based.

There's no radiator at the moment so maybe 12-14 degrees? Should I have left it longer?

As others have said, it looks like you applied the second coat too soon.

After it is hard enough to sand flat, you can add some oxidising agent to the paint to speed up curing times.

eg terebene

Modern oil paints are thicker and take longer to dry. Times quoted are average but you need to consider environment.
Yeah. I had that happen to me in 2010 when the voc changed in paints. Probably wanted 2 days between coats

Modern oil paints are thicker and take longer to dry. Times quoted are average but you need to consider environment.
Yeah. I had that happen to me in 2010 when the voc changed in paints. Probably wanted 2 days between coats

The second of Jan 2010, I recoated a cabinet that I had painted for a customer 7 years previously. I turned up the following day, the paint was still tacky.

From that point onwards, over the colder months, I now routinely add terebene. I had never used it prior to 2010. That said, after a couple of years, they tweaked the oil based paints to act more like they did prior to 2010.

I now add a tiny bit of white spirit, terebene and owatrol oil. Previously, I only added Owatrol oil.

Not use oil gloss since 2011 although have used the trade oil satin a few times.

Found that ok but the constant spec changing of the formula worries me so I try and stay away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back