Satinwood over Vinyl Matt (on skirting board)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to do an excellent job of getting vinyl matt along some parts of the top/horizontal 1/2" wide strip of the skirting board along some walls.

Does this need to be sanded off completely before coating with satinwood or can I just paint over it? The rest of the skirting board (the vertical/main part) is in good condition, and previously painted with some kind of satinwood or eggshell.

Also, is it ok to paint water based satinwood over oil based (which I'm guessing is what's already there since it's yellowed)?

Sponsored Links
thanks for your help.

with 1 do you mean no I can not just paint over it, or no it doesn't need to be sanded first (and i can paint over it)?

2 - thanks! I'm going to go with the water based as I hate the yellowing.

Sponsored Links
hey i am a pro decorator and i would always prefer to use oil based satinwood , gloss etc. A good quality oil based will not yellow.
As for skirting just sand down the emulsion till it is smooth with the top of the skirting.
phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back