satnav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it true that you have to pay a yearly subscription to receive the information onto your satnav...

Sponsored Links
what info are you talking about,
i have a garmin which ive had for about 4 years and ive never paid a subscription.
there are ways of getting speed cams etc installed on to it ;)

well i dont ;)
but it depends on what your after,my sat nav is rather old compared to the new 1s out there now,
if your after re routing because of road works or traffic jams etc then no doubt you will have to pay for that privilage.

Sponsored Links
You don't have to pay any more, you can just use it as soon as it comes out of the box. You can however pay extra to get a few more services, this is usually in the form of a yearly subscription these services include :-

* Live Traffic
* Speed Cameras
* Points of Interest (Usually Free)
* Extra Voices (Celebrity / Novelty ETC)
* Fuel Prices
* Latest / Updated Maps

There are a few other bits, most people never even sync their satnav to their computer and are completely unaware of the other services.

Hope that helps.

I have a Garmin & my understanding is you only pay for updating Speed Cameras.
I think they are great. Just come back from a caravan tour & set the gizmo to home where the van was sited & it takes you back to the exact spot.
JonB

I have cheap and cheerful Garmin Nuvi 300 It is an electronic map plus a lot more in a shirt pocket size. Has worked as it should for several years at this time.

Pay for speed cam locations ( http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ ) Haven't found a cam which is not in database yet.

Updated map data is relatively expensive.

Can and do use Google Earth for places without address - get point co-ord's (Lat' and Long') use those as destination - assign a name when prompted... Works a treat.

Well pleased... can find nearest (to current pos' or another place ) car park, bank atm, restaurant etc etc...

I now tend to leave the screen set for 'next turn' - useful.

BTW. Have tried with vehicle set as 'Bus', the SatNav directed me on the most suitable route to a local airfield, several back lane routes were possible, but I was taken via A and B roads with ease.... Having the thing and knowing how to use it may well differ !
--

I was close to throwing mine out of the car window this week.
It wanted me to turn around at every junction on the motorway even when I could see the destination clearly on screen - it still insisted.

Sometimes you just have to ignore the instructions being spoken and look at the screen. :D

Not having 'Avoidances', 'U-Turns' etc ??

Nuvi-1.jpg

:D

Sponsored Links
Back