saw horse nightmare - remake or adapt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So, a couple years ago, more like 20months, I needed something that I could make and use as a work area as was unable to use our shed as it also has a fridge/freezer, utility appliances and a chest freezer. We also have a work area, and other bits and pieces being stored.

I put a plan together to build a workstation area, where the car hard stand is, since the housing landlords put in a built in fence instead of gates, for reasons I am not sure, but this has allowed us to put a child's playhouse there, anyway, due to this, I worked out where each one of my 6 saw horses would be, and I would then make a workbench.

With these saw horses, they were made to belong in a certain location, facing a certain way as I live on a flat hill. The hill was carved out some 2000 years ago, and now the ground is completely uneven, with high spots, and low, to the point I made the saws feet fit into its spot, so it is secure and not going to fall over. The problem now, I built the workstation area, and now want to store the saw horses when not in use, the way that is now usable on flat ground (the car hard stand) and the driveway area outside of our back garden, effectively allowing a bigger work area. The total area I could work in, would be some 12x5meters, directly outside, but can have access to 12x40meters if needed.

So, I need new legs, and make each saw horse expand.

I have a photo of a few of the saw horses I need to change/modify, or start again (with new wood)?

My thinking, cut maybe 15mm off one side of the top, and mate that one with one from another saw horse, probably using dowels, then cut each leg at an angle, so I can create a solid A frame out of the legs of the 2 saw horses. I should then have a surface that is a bit deeper, and the legs would or could be wider apart, with a brace in the middle, with adjustable feet, just as a backup if the ground isn't completely flat everywhere. I could then make the last one from scratch, making 4 saw horses in total.

IS there anything wrong with this plan?
IMG_0092.jpeg
IMG_9762.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Three legs are stable, four legs will rock so consider an adjustable fourth leg even if that means screwing it in. If the slope is great you will have to work indoors or from flatter ground and carry you finished work to where it is to be fabricated or installed.

Blup

Three legs are always stable , but one leg needs to be adjustable if you want a level surface.On uneven ground you can’t use wide feet like your trestles have .

Simple design here

Last edited:
The picture shown of the completed saw horses they were made for a specific spot in the garden area where I had to use to do any diy work, but now I have flat ground to work on, I am going to either remake all the saw horses or try and reuse what I have, but make it more A framed instead of the I frame.
you see, I live on a steep hill, but my road is built on a cut out section, and this has made my garden “flat” it looks flat, but it has some minor low spots, some high spots, and some flat spots, this is why I had to make the legs at 90° down, with the “feet” you see (especially on the one far left) you can see the food is not at 90° but it fits in the spot on my garden so it won’t tip over and ends up being secure when I put the top on… but now I don’t need them like this now I have space to do things on the flat car port, or outside on the drive way area behind my home, this is just not required now.
this is why I want to remake these or start again?

Sponsored Links
If you're retired and have more time than money to copy existing products, these work well; adjustable and easy to store:

If you have more money than time, just buy a pair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back