SBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had soms walls plastered. My house is very old and I have a real problem with damp around the chimney breast. ( not rising damp). My plasterer left me some liquid SBR to paint on once the plaster is dry. Do I paint it on before I paint on the watered down coat of paint to seal the plaster? After the watered down paint? Or do I paint in on top as a final coat after I have done the coloured paint layer?

Thank you in advance

Sue

Sponsored Links
why not post photos of the whole c/breast and hearth, & the stains on the chimney breast?
essentially, you seem to have done the work back to front - dont apply or paint anything until you've been further advised on here.

Just a DIYer, but when I dealt with a damp chimney, I put SBR slurry on the brick and plastered on top of it.

From my limited experience with SBR I dont think you'll be able to paint over it, the stuff I used to prime a floor remained slightly tacky.

Sponsored Links
I cant see how SBR can be any good on top of the plaster.

Modern 2 part gypsum plaster systems are hygroscopic, damp walls will soak through them quickly and the stains dont go.

I hate to mention it, but if the cause is damp in the brickwork, the plaster may have to be redone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back