using SBR and rendering, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am going to render a piece of brick wall in my bedroom where the chimney breast has been removed and i have been told to paint it with an SBR slurry mix first. When i look at the instructions it seem to imply that you paint this on only where you can render within 15 minutes, am I understanding that correct that you render over it while it is still wet and do not first wait for the SBR slurry to dry?

I suppose I will have to keep the SBR slurry next to me while I render to paint it on just a ahead of where I will render as I think my rendering speed will not be fast enough to get the whole section done in 15 minutes, do you agree or have I got something wrong?

Sponsored Links
Define render if you will. I can't quite grasp the reasons for a cement based coating on an internal wall! :unsure:

Hi I am going to render a piece of brick wall in my bedroom where the chimney breast has been removed and i have been told to paint it with an SBR slurry mix first. When i look at the instructions it seem to imply that you paint this on only where you can render within 15 minutes, am I understanding that correct that you render over it while it is still wet and do not first wait for the SBR slurry to dry?

I suppose I will have to keep the SBR slurry next to me while I render to paint it on just a ahead of where I will render as I think my rendering speed will not be fast enough to get the whole section done in 15 minutes, do you agree or have I got something wrong?

Yes, you've understood the instructions correctly. Render over it when wet as it'll help the render stick to the wall.

Assuming its a chimeny brest that's a couple of meters wide and 2.5 to 3m high, you should have plenty of time to render it in 15 mins. Knock up your render, paint your slurry mix, clean your tools, then render.

As with plastering, your first goal is to get the render on the wall as quick as possible. The leveling/smoothing can be done a little later, so don't spend lots of time smoothing it out as you go. Just get in on the wall, and then you can float it off later.

Also remember, if you're right handed start in the top left corner and work downwards and across. That means your not working across your body all the time and also working downwards means you don't have such an issue of all the dampness running downwards into the bottom of your wall causing that stuff to soak and fall off.

Sponsored Links
What you do is put the slurry on a small area then apply your render then slurry another area apply your render and so on till you complete your wall .You do not have to slurry the whole wall and rush it.This way allows you time to do it if you are not up to speed with rendering,,, ;)

kingandy2nd Quote

Also remember, if you're right handed start in the top right corner and work downwards and across. That means your not working across your body all the time and also working downwards means you don't have such an issue of all the dampness running downwards into the bottom of your wall causing that stuff to soak and fall off.

I am sorry Andy but if you are right handed you always start top left and left handed is top right, The reason to start at top is so new muck doesn't fall down on the previously rendered work like it would if you started at the bottom of the wall.. ;)

Yeah, sorry guys bit of a brain freeze there. I do too go left to right, and have no idea why I wrote right to left...good job I'm not a driving instructor eh? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back